Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Black and White quilt >
  • Black and White quilt

• Black and White quilt

Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 PM

I work a lot with B/W about half the time I use a third color. It was hard the first time, but I found it was kind of fun. When I put in the third color I try to put it in a corner. I do it most of the time in a small amt. Just 1 little bit.
    Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 AM

I think no matter who we ask questions to re: quilt colors, it really boils down to what we really like. We alsways get these great ideas form the QB and I pay a lot of attention to what everyone says. Some have made many more quilts than I and have a better eye for color. Good luck to you wich way you chose to go, :)
    Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 AM

I did a black and white one from a pattern in the nickle quilt book and put in five red and white squares randomly to add a little splash of unexpected color. Turned out great and got lots of good comments.
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I saw a program at my local quilt guild and the subject was black and white quilts from Kay Cross books. she has wrote 4 books on this subject and she always uses a third color called a zinger. What do you think about this? Do you think it is better to use a touch of a third color? I want to make a blk and cream quilt and do I need that third color? Thanks
    Of course not! Black and cream or black and white are very dramatic! There is a wonderful world of black and white (or cream) prints out there!
    ( Did you ever suspect that her bits of zinger colors were her own individual statement?)
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 AM

I love the zinger color, I'm partial to green, purple or pink. all a personal preferance.
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 AM
    Banned

jojosnana,
    Thanxs for letting me know about the quilt police. I have been so worried about that. I haven't even opened my curtains, or doors in days, worried they would be out there looking for me.:}
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 AM
    Banned

All of you that have put in pictures of your B&W quilts, they are all just beatiful.
    When I started this project, I didn't want to do an ordinary quilt with the Red that is always with a B&W, that's why there's no Red in it. Not that I don't like it, I just wanted to make mine "different" from the norm.
    I have never been one to walk on the same side of the road as everyone else.
    But you sure have givn me some very good ideas, that I am still tossing around in my mind. I just haven't come to a final answer yet. But I haven't given up on ideas, either.
    Thanxs again
    Bev
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 PM

I love a deep red with the black and white quilts. Lately, I've been tempted to try a bright lime green.
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I saw a program at my local quilt guild and the subject was black and white quilts from Kay Cross books. she has wrote 4 books on this subject and she always uses a third color called a zinger. What do you think about this? Do you think it is better to use a touch of a third color? I want to make a blk and cream quilt and do I need that third color? Thanks
    My bedroom is black, cream, and soft blue. I think black and cream alone would be striking.
    Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM
    Dee

I'm going to make a blk. and white quilt for my Dil, after 2 more quilts. They are so stunning and dramatic.