Would you let an 11 y.o.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mommaB
None of us can possibly tell your daughter what to do, but we can suggest a few things to think about and ask. My daughter went to NYC and Toronto with her Dad's mom when she was young (12). Even though our divorce was still pretty fresh, I had no reason to distrust his family or their intentions. I surely couldn't take her and she had a great time. And both of my kids had a hard time with the divorce, but these opportunities gave her a chance to get away from it all and show some responsibility. I surely wouldn't say yes right off, but I wouldn't say no either!!
But that was her Grandmother NOT GREAT Grandmother. Therein lies part of my problem woth the whole idea. The lack of maturity on the part of the one just turning 11 and then the fact of being nearly 90. There is no distrust on my part toward the GGM as she is a wonderful woman that I have long admired. But she is quite elderly!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Dee

In this day and age I would not let my 11 year old go. A 90 yr. old is not alert as should be and things happen in a flash. Thats why the milk cartons are full. I would stand very firm on this.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 PM
OB

Both the GGM and the 11 yo. will probably be the darllings of the tour, so she will have many people watching over her. If the 11 yo is comfortable with it, I would say yes and let her have a once in a lifetime experience. Just let her know how to keep in touch. If it is a tour, there are probably offices along the route, and if there is concern, messages can be sent both ways.
If the 11 yo knows about the possibility, saying no, might cause even more problems.

Just a thought.

OB
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM

No I'm sorry I would'nt and if anything happened to 90 yr. old GM I could not forgive myself for letting her go. I think she is too young to go that far away without someone else in the family to go with them.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM

I would certainly not allow it..unless they have another family member going...Today, there are sick people in the would that would take advantage of this situation...How can a 90 year old be responsible for the safety of an 11 year old girl...She could disapear in a flash....If it's a tour, the guides will not be with them every minute....
My granddaughter has traveled to different countries with her parents and my daughter said she didn't let her out of her sight...I'm not near 90 and i know my daughter wouldn't let me take her 11 year old out of the country without her...This is just my opinion....To day it's not safe to let kids roam the malls in this country...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM

When my daughter was 11 I would of let her but when she was 13 and the ugly teenage monster came out no way did I want her out of my sight. She had boys to much on her mind. The memories she will have of her great grandma will be priceless. I think everything depends on grandma's health and the girl's maturity.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Either of my children at 11, absolutely. Mine have been traveling since before they were born. The decision would have to be a personal one based on the maturity of the 11 year old and the health and well-being of the 90 year old. The 11 year old will learn more during that time than she probably would during a week of school, plus have the connection to family heritage and memories forever.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM

90, WOW!! So many "it depends on...." to consider: her health, her state of mind, her ability to keep up with an 11 yr old. Heaven forbid, if something should happen to Grandma overseas, who would provide medical info necessary to give her proper care. The child would be complete freaked. Children have a way of blaming themselves in situations like this. Even if Grandma's in great health - she is 90 and our parts aren't designed to last forever. You mentioned this is a tour group, they are probably wonderful people, but my child is not their responsibility. Regardless of my feelings for Grandma, I just couldn't allow it and Grandma, Hubby, the child and everyone else would just have to deal with it.