Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things I learned by quilting at 3 a.m. >

Things I learned by quilting at 3 a.m.

Things I learned by quilting at 3 a.m.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I won't even try to do anything at 3 am. It is either to early or to late.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM

I have arthritis bad enough that it's hard for me to stay asleep very long without getting up to shake the kinks out. So, I'm up at 3am lots of times. If my machine was quieter, I'd sew then.

Stuff requireing rippping out and redoing hit me all times of the day and night.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Oh I have been there as well:-)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM

I'm finally learning after a days work when I get home and my back starts burning, making mistakes to JUST QUIT. Took me a long time to learn to do that. And, when I do quilt in the evening I have to stop at least an hour before bed time because I'm so 'wired up' I can't go to sleep. Sometimes Melatonin is my best friend.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

Please do me a big, big favor and don't use quilting basting spray in the house at all, to say nothing of overhead! If you read the warnings on the label they're very specific about how to use the sprays. Breathing in those fumes is much like breathing in spray paint or dry cleaning fluid fumes. I put whatever I want to spray down on my deck (waiting for a non-windy time) on top of a sheet and spray cautiously, trying hard not to breathe in any of the mist, then take the piece I've sprayed into the house. When I'm done I toss the sheet right into the washer. I think it's dangerous stuff and should be used exactly as the manufacturer directs.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by danade
Please do me a big, big favor and don't use quilting basting spray in the house at all, to say nothing of overhead! If you read the warnings on the label they're very specific about how to use the sprays. Breathing in those fumes is much like breathing in spray paint or dry cleaning fluid fumes. I put whatever I want to spray down on my deck (waiting for a non-windy time) on top of a sheet and spray cautiously, trying hard not to breathe in any of the mist, then take the piece I've sprayed into the house. When I'm done I toss the sheet right into the washer. I think it's dangerous stuff and should be used exactly as the manufacturer directs.
I use "The Original Quilt Basting Spray" It does say Harmful if inhaled but only says to use in adequate ventilation - since I tack the quilts on my front hallway wall - I open the front door. I couldn't lay a quilt outside if I wanted to - in Corpus Christi if the wind dies down then something is really really wrong - we have a constent 10 mph wind minimum in this city.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM

And not everyone has a place outside to lay a quilt except on the ground in my case. Can't do that!!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Those are all good lessons! Funny how rules of things like math and "righty-tighty" seem to disappear overnight while rules like gravity seem the same! Thanks for sharing with us. :thumbup:
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM

at least it was the back that was larger.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM

thanks for the laugh!!!!!!!!!! :D