Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star?? >

Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star??

Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star??

Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
Someone somewhere didn't do their research very well to think that quilter's will pay for tutorials. I agree...won't be much profit in it.
quote]

I completely disagree with this statement above: there IS a lot of profit potential in online classes for her...she only has to record the videos once and then people buy the course for $29 or however much they charge...if only 50 people sign up (which is highly likely considering how huge the Missouri Star email list must be) that's $1,450..and all she has to do is answer questions that as knowledgeable as she is would be pretty simple to do. I think it's a fabulous way for a well-respected online or LQS to make extra income, because let's face it, many of them are struggling or trying hard to stay in business. I understand quilters not wanting to pay for tutorials when so much is free online, but don't "knock" others for wanting to get extra instruction from an excellent teacher like Jenny or for a quilt store (online or offline) to try and think up new ways to earn income in these tough times when the cost of their product (fabric) is increasing and the big box stores are offering 50% off coupons left and right.

From all of my past very positive experiences with them, I choose to believe Missouri Star is not doing anything "underhanded" or "sneaky" by offering these classes..I think they're being smart and keeping up with the times and the way people are learning..why shouldn't they be compensated for their skills? Just my 2 cents...
I am sure no offense was intended, so none taken....but I wasn't "knocking" anyone. Just offering my opinion that I personally didn't think the venture of paid for online "classes" would be profitable.

In addition, I wasn't suggesting that Missouri Star was doing anything "sneaky" or "underhanded". Seems to me they are being pretty up front about what they are offering. Doesn't appear to me they are lurking around in the dark trying to "put one over" on the unsuspecting quilter population.

If quilters buy into these classes and it becomes a profitable venture, then I will humbly admit my error in thinking...In the meantime, I respect you adding your two cents, and would appreciate the reciprocal from you without the hints that I was "knocking" anyone or accusing anyone of something "underhanded" or "sneaky"

thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 AM

In my humble opinion I believe if you can afford the money it would be worth it -
Here are some pointers as I see it:

Advantage: as you watch the video and if you have a question you can type the question and the instructor will reply

Disadvantage: what wasn’t made clear is how long you would have to wait for your answer I would think you wouldn’t have to wait more then 24 hours (not sure if this is live & will get a quick responds)

Advantage: you will have access 24/7

Disadvantage: Nothing was mentioned about how long you will have access (ex: a month – 2 months or just a few weeks)

Advantage: You can work at your own speed and also have a visual

Disadvantage: You don’t know for how.

Biggest Advantage in my opinion: is that once the videos go away you will always have this wonderful web-site with these wonderful people who are willing to not only listen but also pass on knowledge.

One point – I believe that when you join this class you will need to create a user ID & password once this is done then you will be able to access from any computer but you will not be able to put the information on a CD.

Win – Win scenario – Everyone have a blessed day
Old 04-14-2011, 06:17 AM

I love the idea of online classes that you can watch as often as you need to. They charge just as much, and usually more for local quilt classes and you only get to see those once. My memory isn't as good as it used to be.

I haven't been able to quilt in a long time and there have been a ton of advances in techniques since then.

As soon as we manage to find a house we can afford and get moved, I hope to sign up for at least one of the classes because she is such an excellent teacher.

The only one I would prefer is if Eleanor Burns did a set of classes on technique.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by silvam
In my humble opinion I believe if you can afford the money it would be worth it -
Here are some pointers as I see it:

Advantage: as you watch the video and if you have a question you can type the question and the instructor will reply

Disadvantage: what wasn’t made clear is how long you would have to wait for your answer I would think you wouldn’t have to wait more then 24 hours (not sure if this is live & will get a quick responds)

Advantage: you will have access 24/7

Disadvantage: Nothing was mentioned about how long you will have access (ex: a month – 2 months or just a few weeks)

Advantage: You can work at your own speed and also have a visual

Disadvantage: You don’t know for how.

Biggest Advantage in my opinion: is that once the videos go away you will always have this wonderful web-site with these wonderful people who are willing to not only listen but also pass on knowledge.

One point – I believe that when you join this class you will need to create a user ID & password once this is done then you will be able to access from any computer but you will not be able to put the information on a CD.

Win – Win scenario – Everyone have a blessed day
It is a win win situation, especially the "Disadvantages" you mentioned would be readily answered if you ask. I believe that there is no time limit. Once you pay you have continuous access to the lessons.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 AM

I have been quilting about a year and I found a lot of tutorials on you tube by Missouri Star Quilt Co and I purchased her online class which was so much better. I also have interaction with Jenny, she responds quickly to messages left. I have learned a great deal from her first class and I paid for the 2nd class. I like the way she presents things and I can watch it over and over again if I want to refresh something I learned.
I am glad the resource was there and in the time frame that works for me (24/7!) :)
I love my 'home' quilt store, but the last quilt i had sent to a LAQ I did through the Quilting Board and my home quilt store gave me a 'talking to' about not using locals (which is what I used before). Now I don't feel as comfortable in their store as I use to.
I want to learn all I can about quilting :) and I like variety too :)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:07 AM

I'm in the process of doing both of the Quilting Quickly courses at Craftsy. They are wonderful! Some of the best quilting-related money that I've spent. She really goes into a lot of depth about everything, so it's much more than a quick You Tube tutorial. I think the cost is more than reasonable. Plus, I just enjoy watching them on the computer, especially when there's nothing to watch on TV (grin).

Be sure to wait until you get a 50% offer to sign up....no need to pay full price because they send out the 50% off notices quite frequently. Just sign up for the Craftsy mailing list. If you're on any of the larger mailing lists, such as Fons & Porter or McCalls, you should get the offers through them also.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Online classes are one of the best resources the Web offers, in my limited experience.

While I haven't taken the courses MQ has produced, I have taken several through Quilt University. They were enriching, well-structured, with lots of interaction on the class message boards and with the instructor, and fun.

Of course the Web has a myriad of other resources too, which simply expands our choices.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TjNurse93
I have been quilting about a year and I found a lot of tutorials on you tube by Missouri Star Quilt Co and I purchased her online class which was so much better. I also have interaction with Jenny, she responds quickly to messages left. I have learned a great deal from her first class and I paid for the 2nd class. I like the way she presents things and I can watch it over and over again if I want to refresh something I learned.
I am glad the resource was there and in the time frame that works for me (24/7!) :)
I love my 'home' quilt store, but the last quilt i had sent to a LAQ I did through the Quilting Board and my home quilt store gave me a 'talking to' about not using locals (which is what I used before). Now I don't feel as comfortable in their store as I use to.

I love the classes too! Have taken both of Jennies classes and hope she will do more soon. I wouldn't let the folks at your LQS quilt you into not using whomever you please to have your quilts LA'd, none of their business! I am sure that plenty of their customers use other LA'ers so just would not ever mention it again, and try to regain your pleasure in going there. I am sure they will totally forget about it is a short time.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by TjNurse93

I love the classes too! Have taken both of Jennies classes and hope she will do more soon. I wouldn't let the folks at your LQS quilt you into not using whomever you please to have your quilts LA'd, none of their business! I am sure that plenty of their customers use other LA'ers so just would not ever mention it again, and try to regain your pleasure in going there. I am sure they will totally forget about it is a short time.
Thanks! I am still involved in their Block of the Month this year and they are always my first choice to purchase or browse for new items. I am sure my feelings will pass about it in time. I do what works for me. Thanks again :)
Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM

I love the online classes at Missouri Star - they have Quilting Quickly I & the more advanced series, Quilting Quickly II.

I've picked up so many shortcuts and so many good ideas from this series, it was well worth the small expense. The personality of the teacher is fun and positive, the quality of the video is good and the quilts shown are very nice looking - professional and well-made. :)

If I were just starting to quilt, I think I would make this one of my first "tool investments." For about the same cost as a magazine subscription, someone shows you a whole lot of different processes in action - really flattens out that learning curve. :)