Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side? >

Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side?

Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM

I almost always press to the dark but on occasion I may need to change a press so there is less bulk and certain squares fit together better. I never press open. I do a lot of in the ditch quilting and if the seam was open you could damage the thread holding the seam together and with the press to the side you are catching the fabric an quilting through it, making it a stronger seam and not have the batting creeping through the seam.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
you can't always press to the dark side. sometimes its necessary to press the seams open sometimes its necessary to press to the light. It many seams intersect you should press them open to reduce bulk. If you are putting two blocks together such as hst, you may have to press one to the light and one to the dark so they intersect.
Hi. yes I just found that out today in class. makes sense doesn't it.

thankyou
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by JCL in FL
I almost always press to the dark but on occasion I may need to change a press so there is less bulk and certain squares fit together better. I never press open. I do a lot of in the ditch quilting and if the seam was open you could damage the thread holding the seam together and with the press to the side you are catching the fabric an quilting through it, making it a stronger seam and not have the batting creeping through the seam.
thankyou that was a very clear reply which also makes sense, i shall remember it.

thankyou
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mackandblues
I've done blocks both ways and I like the look of "open" better. I think it is flatter and the block looks "crisper".
I shall certainly do the seam this way when I feel it suits the situation, thankyou for your reply much appreciated.

jane
Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Vat

I have done both. Some patterns require open and some call for press to the dark. I really like open, I think the quilt top lays flatter with less bulk.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by lbaillie
I feel like Darth Vader, "sew to the dark side"!!!
' Neverrrrrrrr" lol, lol, thx i needed a laugh.... Jane
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 PM

I tried pressing seams open and have the burnt fingers to prove it. I now press to the side
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM

I press to one side .. and not necessarily the dark side. I press to the side that will cause the least bulk at the intersection. Pressing open is fine but it makes it a little bit harder to line up intersections because the fabrics don't "nestle" together and it takes more time -- which I am usually short on.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 PM

Like most of us old timers, I was trained to press to the dark, but in recent years I've ready much about pressing seams open and I keep meaning to try it. However, old habits die hard, and every time I thnk about doing it, I'm halfway through the quilt and I vow to try it next time. LOL
The most glaring reason to press open is to flatten the bulk of the quilt, especially in areas where you're joining fabrics (star points, etc.)