Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of quilting? >

Tired of quilting?

Tired of quilting?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Yup - then I switch to crochet or embroidery for a while.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 AM

I do an assortment of different projects like quilting, sewing, beading, woodworking, scrapbooking, etc. It keeps me from getting burned out with any one type of crafting. And of course, there are times when there's no crafting going on for a while but instead gardening or yardwork. Then I'm in the mood, it's back to quilting, sewing, gardening or whatever project without feeling like I don't want to be doing it.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 AM

I never get tired of quilting as I have not nearly enough time to devote to my own quilts. I'm a longarm quilter so that's take priority but I do have a current WIP, my plan is to enter it in 2012 at the Pine Tree Quilt Guild show so I've got plenty of time to get it finished.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200132.jpe  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Since retiring I've been doing a Scarlett O'Hara thing...I'll worry about that tomorrow. But tomorrows don't last forever.

Cjaye44, I went through the same thing when I first retired. I went from not having enough time to having way too much time :? I do think I was somewhat depressed because I wasn't interested in much of anything.
It's gotten a lot better now and I'm really getting into quilting. In fact, right now I am taking two classes from Quilt University and working on a third project for a friend. I'd better be careful or I might burn out :| However, one class is over next week and the other in three weeks.
As others have said, I'm working in the gardens now, too. I also knit premie blankets for charity and read a lot, so variety helps.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 AM

I have a friend who quilts for 15 minutes a day, right before leaving for work. I can't beleive how fast she gets her projects done! I tried that, but I can do an hour. I get to my room and see an overwelming amt. to do, I just end up taking a nap!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
When Spring/Summer roll around, I seem to feel happy to put down my quilting and begin working outside in the gardens more. I love being outdoors. I think of quilting now as my colder weather activity and summer for out of doors type activities. This keeps it fresh and new for me. I rarely have time to quilt in the spring/summer, as I stay pretty busy outside the majority of the time. But, I did have to learn that it's OK to put it up for awhile, and when I get ready, it's all waiting on me - and I'm ever so happy to get back into it! Maybe you need a summer break?

Just my thoughts...

Sounds like excellent advise,since its rainy in the winter I also like to be outside when the sun comes around. Now I don't feel so bad about my gardening.
Thank you
K
Debbie in Austin
Old 05-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
Discouraged is more my problem. Sometimes I feel like my accuracy will never improve enough to be a good quilter. I feel like I should be doing better. I make some really stupid mistakes. But I don't want to quit. A good successful finish would be pretty welcome right now.
What is a good quilter? I think mistakes are design choices. I also think it's best to beware the quilt police, and just enjoy what you have created!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Yeah, every once in a while. When that happens, I'll either read or knit until I'm ready to go back to the sewing room.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 AM

I do lots of diffrent crafts I get burned out offten. Then I just try to go back to some other craft for a while I have a stash of beads, yarn and scrapbooking supplies so I usually have something going all the time. Sometimes I am not able to do any of these projects so I just read all day
Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Yes, and no, I get tired when I do it for long hours , then I go on to other things, such as embroidery or crafts. At this moment, I am taking a break from quilting my red,white and blue quilt , but within the hour I will be bak at it. I can't really say I get tired of quilting, just tired.