Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tired of parenthood.

Power Poster
    I am tired/frustrated/angry of being a parent and grandparent.

Why/How can our children and grandchildren be so stubborn and stupid????

I thought we raised them better.

!@#$%^&*()_

They can be a challenge! Hang in there. Your efforts will pay off. Or that's what I keep telling myself!

Power Poster
    sometimes they turn out well in spite of ourselves

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hang in there BIG - I know this feeling! Remember, craziness is hereditary - we get it from our children! LOL

Blog Entries
    I can certainly relate to your feelings.
    My husband & I often wonder what
    happened along the way!! :D You
    got to love them, though!!
    :D :D :D :D :D

Power Poster
    Maybe love them, but LIKE is a really big stretch at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Maybe love them, but LIKE is a really big stretch at the moment.
    OH!! I hear you there!!
    Try to hang in there though.
    :D :D :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Lay a firm foundation, then just be there when they need you. :wink:

I mentioned this to my daughter again last year, and she, in her 18 year old wisdom said "Mom, you've laid the foundation, but now I'm working on walls and windows!" :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Love that, Karla!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have to admit--parenting is not easy, but I've put my heart and soul into raising these two kids and I always love to spend time with them--I wouldn't change a thing. No wait! I wish the almost 22 year old boy would pull his pants up a bit higher and make his truck a lot quieter. :wink:

I hear you . I try to think of the crap I put my mom through and how I turned out. I am going through my DD's growing pains now too. You may have seen a recient thread about my blue empty nest. THey have to experience their own things and they will come to realize we were not all wet with what we taught. I just hope for us and them that it happens before they do anything that can't be undone. I will keep praying for us both

I am only an aunt who doesn't live close to the kin, and taught elementary school for lots of years. They usually do grow out of it, but there sure are rough spots along the way! And the best part is I was once one of THEM! :?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    I have to admit--parenting is not easy, but I've put my heart and soul into raising these two kids and I always love to spend time with them--I wouldn't change a thing. No wait! I wish the almost 22 year old boy would pull his pants up a bit higher and make his truck a lot quieter. :wink:
    Why DO they do that pants thing? It makes no sense - you see their underwear and the hems of their jeans get all torn and dirty! (oh no - I'm officially an old fogey! :oops: :mrgreen: )

Banned
    Blog Entries
    He says it's more comfortable. :roll:

But--his heart makes up for it. :D

I have never been tired of being a parent. I have two great kids, 18 and 22. I can't wait to become a grandparent. And I have NEVER called my boys STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by judy_68
    I have never been tired of being a parent. I have two great kids, 18 and 22. I can't wait to become a grandparent. And I have NEVER called my boys STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You've had a lucky life then dude... things don't always go so smoothly for everyone else.

I have four kids, three are mine and one is my partners, ranging in age from 7 to 13. And there are most definitely days when I would rather be anything other than a parent! It's perfectly normal to despair sometimes, bearisgray, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Blog Entries
    There have been numerous occasions that I have told my kids "I love you, but I am not liking you, (or what you are doing) so well right now" :? :? :?

You should look up dude in the dictionary. lol I have despaired but still never called my boys stupid.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine are 19 and almost 22 and I feel the same as you, judy. Mine know I am SOOOO looking forward to being a grandparent, but I can wait patiently--no reason to rush. :D

The kids didn't walk into our homes and demand to be cared for properly--we invited them. Parent daily so there are no regrets. Every word, every tone makes a huge impression.

It's amazing to me that it's easier to become a parent than it is to drive a car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judy_68
    You should look up dude in the dictionary. lol I have despaired but still never called my boys stupid.
    Maybe she meant they were acting stupid, not that they were stupid. And if you have never said it, have you never thought it ,about an act they were doing ? But as parents we have to let them learn from their own mistakes and sometimes that can be the most frustrating thing in the world.

Why oh Why won't they listen to me???LOL

I love parenthood and being a grandma, but there were times I wondered what they were thinking and will they every outgrow it. As teens I always loved them but sometime disliked their actions. There is a difference.

Sharon B you got it right. I love my baby to bits and have loved every day of being her mother for all 21 years (Wednesday) but there have been times that she has done stupid things and I have wanted to shake her until her head popped off. I have never called her stupid and never will but boy.........Sometimes I could in a heartbeat.

Blog Entries
    I have three kids and you have to hang in there! It will get better! You have to hang on to the fact that you have taught them the best you can but there comes a time when they have to make their own mistakes.
    The good values you taught them are in there some where!! They will remember that when they get a little older!

One of my sons left home a few weeks after getting his first car. He was 16. I could have drug him home but knowing my 7 bil's and how they were as well as my husband at that age I chose to keep the lines of communication open and pray for the best. He had a good home life but he is a strong willed :lol: :lol: person!! He dropped out of school and worked at McDonalds but now he is 32 married to a great lady and has 4 kids 2 and 1/2 grandkids and is a partner with his uncle in their electric business. He works long hours and is a great dad. He cooks and cleans and is remodeling their house right now between jobs and family. He married at 19 and became an instant hands on dad to a 4-6-8 yr olds and is a decent upstanding person.

So this son of mine who used to fight and hang out with people who did drugs came through all of this to be a great caring person and we are really proud of him but...

From the age of 16 to 19 he turned our hair gray and we did a lot of talking to him and a lot of praying!!!!!! Worst period of my life!!

My youngest son who is now 31 is another story! Hard working family man but makes some not so great decisions! Still has me on my knees praying!!

Just keep hanging in there! We have had our share of bad days as a parent and as grandparents!!!!
    Hope you see some sunshine soon!

You can bring them up right & they still do stupid things. Mine are 31, 27, & 15. Sometimes the 15 year has more since than the other 2. Kids can come law abiding, God fearing people and still turn out to be the worst people in the world. Mine have always been pretty good kids. No drug problems, getting arrested or stuff like that. My 5 grands are all good kids too. Now they do get on my last nerve sometimes but I still love them with all my heart. Hang in there. Just remember somebody else's are always worst than yours.

Blog Entries
    People used to tell me how much they enjoyed my kids and I would think who my kids? You aren't describing my kids as well behaved quiet kids! You haven't seen them at home then!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast