Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you feel women should cut their hair >

do you feel women should cut their hair

do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-28-2011, 05:51 AM

I think that is up to every individual. I am 52, and have had my hair going gray since my early 20's. I am definitly one of those premature gray people...thanks to my mother. I always thought she looked funny with her hair so dark...she colored it till she was in her late 60's or early 70's. I swore I wouldnt do that....but, I colored it for years, and finally about 2 years ago I cut it really short and everyone I know thinks it looks wonderful. Plus.. It is easier for when I am swimming. I think everyone needs to do what feels good for them!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I let the idea of "getting older, should wear it shorter" whispers convince me to cut it. sorry right away so I'm growing it back to my shoulders or a bit below. I like it and at 58 it makes me feel better.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:57 AM

I had long blond hair when I got married, DH talked me into cutting it, After 35 years of wearing in short he tells me he likes it long :roll: Now because of thyroid problems, and age, it doesn't want to grow. So now I say he is stuck with me and my hair. :-P
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
when they reach a certain age? It seems like most women over 40 have short hair. I remember my grandma had such long hair she wore in a braid down her back and one day she was leaning against the stove and it caught on fire. But did you decide its not worth the hassle after a certain age?
I definitely agree about the larger sizes and the big floral patterns.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltwiz
Originally Posted by Hosta
when they reach a certain age? It seems like most women over 40 have short hair. I remember my grandma had such long hair she wore in a braid down her back and one day she was leaning against the stove and it caught on fire. But did you decide its not worth the hassle after a certain age?
I definitely agree about the larger sizes and the big floral patterns.
Oops! Hit the wrong quote...sorry.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 AM

I am 59 and have curly hair. Until recently, I have had long hair to the waist because it was convenient and fuss free, but it made me look drawn and older than my years. I now have cut it to shoulder length and I love it ! I not only look 10 years younger than I did, but it looks healthy and shiny and,to my surprise,is much more of a wash and go than when it was long.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by dpparris
My hair is short becasue I get headaches if I let it get long (it is very thick). I had a doctor tell me to cut my hair once and when I start getting headaches off for a hair cut I go. I think everyone should wear their hair the way THEY want it. My husband like his longer and that fine.
Yes that is my problem. My hair was down to my waist before I got it cut last time before surgery. 2002 , Its been short ever since. I am 58 and my hair is white/grey. I would love to have a long braid down my back, but my hair is just too heavy. And since menopause I have lost about half. And its still to heavy and thick. lol
I am in the process of finding a new person to cut my hair. Did one place , horrors!! good thing it grows fast. Have an appointment with another on Tues. I will never have "poodle" hair like my grandmother. I want a shaggy cut. And they always want to do a layered "man" cut on me for some reason. I am paying more this time not a walk in place so I will see what she can do.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 AM

Mine is short, fine, and thin. I tried growing it out recently. It's too thin to look good any more. Had it long when I was younger.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:53 AM

my hair was past shoulder length then I went into nurses training we had to wear our hair short,Years later married and loved the outdoors and cut it again because it was easier to keep up.My daughter wanted long hair and I told her Ok,but I want it always to be neat & trim. That's the way I feel about the whole situation
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
I am 60. My hair is very long, but I always keep it up in back. For me, it's just less of a bother to twist it up than to fuss with blow-drying, or curling, or regular trims. No one has seen me with my hair down in years.

I figure that by the time you reach my age, you can wear your hair however the heck you like it.
My sentiments exactly!! The only time I cut my hair is to donate to Locks of Love.