Bread maker

Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Bread machines are for making bread from scratch. The recipe book that came with mine has no instructions how to use a bought bread mix. Mixes are way over priced and make small loaves. Check this out: http://steamykitchen.com/168-no-knea...revisited.html

This is the way my grandmother made all her bread and now it's new again. The site has lots of great pictures, easier then me typing how to do it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NancyBelly
I received a bread maker several years ago for a present. They were in vogue at that time and it was easy to find bread mixes at the market. Now they seem to be nonexistent. Does anyone still use a bread making machine or know where to find mixes or recipes online?
They did have bread machine mixes at Costco, but I have not looked lately to see if they still do. DM and I are both sensitive to gluten and have not tried gluten-free bread in the bread maker.

It is a lot cheaper to make it from scratch anyway, I always found the mixes to be very expensive.

Has anyone found a good gluten free recipe for the bread machine?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 PM

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/bread/...hine/main.aspx

I have several books on bread makers and recipes. I use it weekly and this week I am making banana bread in it! There are also some you tube videos on how to make bread in your bread maker. I often use a basic recipe but also get ones on the site above. Allrecipes site above also have all sorts of baking recipes. Hope this helps!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I just use any bread recipe that doesn't require more than 4 cups of flour in mine. :) But -- I do NOT bake the breads in the breadmaker.....they just don't turn out right. I get them to a point, turn them out and form into rolls or put in loaf pan, and bake in the oven.

You also have to watch the altitude you live in...I'm at 4300 feet and I have to reduce the yeast by 1/2 tsp per package of yeast or the bread will raise right up out of the breadmaker.

and I, too, shouldn't have read this -- now I want cinnamon rolls!
I knew if I was patient and read through all the messages someone would address my situation. In Calif I used my bread machine all the time & loved it, then when i moved to Utah it never comes out right anymore, how do you figure the adjustments? My mother was a wonderful baker and just knew these things, I however am not that talented.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gluten-...es/detail.aspx

I have 7 gluten free receipes if you would like them here are a couple
My email is [email protected] if you would like others

raison bread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231164[/ATTACH]

Potato bread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231165[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231158.jpe   attachment-231159.jpe  
Old 07-24-2011, 01:55 PM

A few years ago my husband called and asked if I wanted one as someone he was working with was getting rid of it..it was brand new...we only made bread a couple of times but I absolutely love it for pizza dough..I used to waste pizza dough, buying it and thinking I was going to make a pizza and never getting around to it and then it went bad...now I know in 1 1/2 hours I have a pizza dough..
...lots of recipes and manuals on line...I tried out a few recipes for cinnamon buns and wow they were good..want one know..last week I got one at a thrift store and can't find a manual for it anywhere...it is a Sears Kenmore...although I have pretty well figured it out..
This is my pizza dough recipe...got it to just the way I like it...

In this order...in my machine...

1.5 cups of warm water
2 TBS olive oil
3.5 cups AP flour..I have never used any special flour
1 Tsp salt
1 package (or 1 Tsp ish) of yeast

***optional... garlic powder...

Turns out great...I have it memorized...I know it takes 5 ingredients...2 wet...water and oil...flour...then 2 dry..salt and yeast...literally takes 2 minutes...
Old 07-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Ok folks, all this talk about bread makers made me go back a loaf of "Honey I'm Home" bread (food.com). The slice I tried was pretty darn good.

Lynn :)
Old 07-24-2011, 02:36 PM

and you can see that I can't spell....I'll do better next time.

Lynn
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Use our bread making machine all the time... and I agree about the King Arthur recipes, can't go wrong with that flour either.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by NancyBelly
I received a bread maker several years ago for a present. They were in vogue at that time and it was easy to find bread mixes at the market. Now they seem to be nonexistent. Does anyone still use a bread making machine or know where to find mixes or recipes online?
Costco carries the mixes. There are like 4 different kinds in the package.