Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice to a first-time cat owner >

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-11-2011, 03:10 PM

I try not to leave pins, needles, and thread unattended at my house. My big cat can't be trusted around them. He also loves to chew on ribbons and bows, especially thin curling ribbon. Gifts at our house look kind of naked because we no longer use ribbons. (A friend jokingly said we should let him eat the ribbons because it makes the litter box look so festive!)

That's good of you to consider adopting an older cat. Both of mine were adopted as kittens, but if I should ever get another cat, I'd probably look for an older one.

Hope you enjoy your new cat(s). They can be a lot of fun and good company. I'm betting your cat will be happy to have you as a mom.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM

We have 2 rescue kitties. They have trained us very well. One thing I did learn about cats, is not to use plastic dishes or bowls. Some cats are allergic to the plastic.

Neither cat eats the thread. But, the older one likes to pull out the pens in an on going project and put them in a pile. She also likes to be a kitty policecat. She has been know to rearange my blocks.

You will enjoy you kitty.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
We have had both dogs (big) and cats. You are prepared and have a strong desire to give a good home so you will be fine. If you are adopting from a shelter just go there and sit awhile and the cat will let you know they have chosen you :-). You show love and compassion in your note and you will know when it is the right choice. My cat sits by me all the time, but does not interfere with quilting, sewing, reading or whatever unless she just needs a short time to be rocked (yes, she is spoiled). Kudos to you for this adoption.
I agree that the cat will choose you ! would be great if you
could find a senior cat whose human has passed away. I see
these in the paper & just cry for the animal that has been put in such circumstances. they would love you double.
you will find the perfect partner if you don't rush. good luck !
Old 09-11-2011, 04:24 PM

I forgot to say, all cats should be so lucky to have someone plan so thoroughly for them. I hope you get a real little lover.

The cat I have "adopted" us in May - showed up as a kitten in the back yard skinny, cold, damp, scared. A search of the neighborhood yielded no owners. So, after a month or so we just kept her for good. Had her spayed, got her shots, etc. She is such a lovey-dovey little thing, and gorgeous to boot!

Another free toy idea: If you can stand the noise at 3AM, give your cat some empty thread spools. They love to chase them around the house. I have tile floors, and the little "clink" noise the spools make is sort of fun. (Yawn!)
Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
If you had just one point of advice to give a first-time cat owner (considering the following) what would it be?

As for stuff, I will get a couple padded (quilted?) window perches, a covered litter box (cleaned daily), food dishes, a scratching post and a few toys.

I have tried to look through my sewing room for things that could present a problem. I'll give away any potted plants that aren't hanging, check for loose blinds cords, etc. I'm concerned about thread in the machine if I should happen to forget to take it out and put it away. Is this a problem? I'd feel terrible if something happened to my new little one through my fault.

Oh, yes, and I hope that he/she decides to curl up in bed with me. That would be nice.

Sorry for rambling. It's undeniable how much you all love your little ones and I know I could do no better than to ask you for that one piece of advice you'd give to a never-before cat owner to get started off as well as possible. Thanks so much.
I have always had cats. If you want older, contact local vets, and let them know you want a cat. If they have a client who must give up their cat, ask them to call you. You get a pet who needs you, but you also get a pet that was well cared for, and healthy. My Bruno had been surrendered for euthanasia, because he was black, and born on 9/11/2001. He was 5 weeks old. Vet kept him, and called me.

Answer to cat and thread - When Bruno was little, I kept a bath towel over my sewing machine, so he could go near it with no thread or needle worries, I put the needle and foot down, in case kitty gets under, but won't see thread, due to towel. Cats like to lay on towels, so he will sleep there if he gets up there. My cat sleeps at the foot of my bed (new machine has thread cover on top). DH cat sleeps on his legs. :) PM if you need anything else.

I have a huge dog now, because I once fostered a dog for a guy who was "shipped out" by the navy, I was afraid of dogs before I did that. Cats are warm furry entertainment. Good luck with yours. Sounds like you are ready.
:thumbup: Sorry this is so long, I guess I am excited for you.

PS I forgot to say, NO tinsel at Christmas. Some cats will eat it. Dollar store have plastic ornaments for the tree. I am owned by a cat....
Old 09-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Can I come live with you? ;)) That's going to be one lucky cat!

I've had cats for many years now and my number one piece of advice is to not let him/her outside. Indoor cats live longer, much healthier lives then their outdoor counterparts. If the cat is neutered or spayed, it will be perfectly happy being inside with you.

I know you're in New York but here are some cuties for you to check out. The League for Animal Welfare here in Ohio is an incredible no kill shelter. Best of luck to you.

http://www.lfaw.org/
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM

My 18 year old cat has left the thread alone since she wrapped it around her legs when she was seven and couldn't do anything but crawl to the bathroom when I was. I know it sounds horrible but it was really funny since the thread and cat were black. Anyway, I would get a plastic box with a lid and keep the pins, threads, seam ripper, etc... in it. If you have any other hobbies such as cross stitch, keep those items out of the way as well. Also, keep an eye on the cat when you sew. Some cats love the motion of the sewing maching and want to grab it. The best thing to do is keep a very vigilant eye on the cat when you sew. An older cat won't be as playful but still you want to be careful. Good luck...you will find that a purr is the next best thing to sewing.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Hide your pin cushion! Bruno once pulled all of the pins out, and set them down, (thankfully he didn't hurt himself), but he never found it again!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 PM

since you're talking about a gently used cat, you have to realize that as they get older they do go deaf, so if you come home and don't see your cat(s) immediately, don't assume that they escaped or died. they're probably sleeping in a new and wonderful place that they discovered and haven't realized you're home yet. they're great little hiders. just close the windows on the bottoms.

i'm 69 and i wouldn't consider a cat any younger than 11. if i outlive another cat, i'd rather do that than the other way around. the cat would have a good end-of-life. if i was still healthy, i'd go again, with a 15 - 16 year old cat. i know my dd or ddil would take in any cat i leave behind. especially if they're named after them. sondra and elizabeth, the sweet kitties. hehe. :mrgreen:
Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 PM

I read most of the advice on here, and there's a lot of really good stuff.

Just remember that every kitty is as individual as the people who own them. My Gizmo is the most contrary furbaby you can imagine, but I wouldn't have him any other way, and I wouldn't be able to live on my own without him. :)

I would say to take it easy buying toys and beds and such until you get to know what your cat likes and will use, rather than having a lot of extra stuff cluttering up what is probably a pretty small apartment (I speak from experience! lol).

Good luck finding a new friend! :D