Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice to a first-time cat owner >

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM

If you had just one point of advice to give a first-time cat owner (considering the following) what would it be?

Until three years ago I've always had dogs, usually big ones who were always my best buddies. Since then I'm relocated to a small upstairs, apartment with windows on three sides. It is just me and I'm ready for a new fur baby.

I'm 71, somewhat arthritic, moderately active, and an avid quilter/sewer. I don't usually leave for more than 3-4 hours at a time a couple times a week. If longer, I have a friend who will attend to the cat's needs for me, but it likely wouldn't be more than three days once a year or so.

I have researched and studied my own life style and think I am ready for a short-hair cat (I'm used to dog hair, but would prefer to keep it on the shorter side). Male or female doesn't matter as it will be neutered if not already. I'm thinking older than a kitten, maybe even a senior cat which I'll adopt from an organization that attends to shots, worming, etc., so I know I'm bringing home a well cat. If it is not declawed, I will not have that done; I think best to leave them with their natural defenses.

As for stuff, I will get a couple padded (quilted?) window perches, a covered litter box (cleaned daily), food dishes, a scratching post and a few toys.

I have tried to look through my sewing room for things that could present a problem. I'll give away any potted plants that aren't hanging, check for loose blinds cords, etc. I'm concerned about thread in the machine if I should happen to forget to take it out and put it away. Is this a problem? I'd feel terrible if something happened to my new little one through my fault.

Oh, yes, and I hope that he/she decides to curl up in bed with me. That would be nice.

Sorry for rambling. It's undeniable how much you all love your little ones and I know I could do no better than to ask you for that one piece of advice you'd give to a never-before cat owner to get started off as well as possible. Thanks so much.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Congrats on your decision! I find my cat leaves my thread alone, but tries to steal pins from my pincushion! I now keep all my pins in a box with a secure lid.
One word of caution, cats do tend to rub around your ankles, and could possibly cause you to fall if you are not careful. Try to train him/her not to be underfoot, especially on stairs!
I know you will love having a cat. They are easy to care for and very loving. Mine brings joy to me everyday.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM

I love my new adoption from the shelter she is 5 and so sweet I have read that if they swallow thread it can get tangled around their stomach and they will have to have surgery so be careful other then that it sounds like you have covered all their needs expect lots of love and cat nip!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 AM

You are ready! You will make some lucky kitty very happy, I can tell. Take your time, visit your local shelters, let them know what your needs are. Many older cats need loving homes and don't get adopted because kittens are "cuter". Don't forget to show us a picture of your new quilt inspector, and remember that cats do not have owners, they have "staff"!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM

We have had both dogs (big) and cats. You are prepared and have a strong desire to give a good home so you will be fine. If you are adopting from a shelter just go there and sit awhile and the cat will let you know they have chosen you :-). You show love and compassion in your note and you will know when it is the right choice. My cat sits by me all the time, but does not interfere with quilting, sewing, reading or whatever unless she just needs a short time to be rocked (yes, she is spoiled). Kudos to you for this adoption.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Wow, it sounds as though you've thought it through very carefully. That will be a lucky kitty. You are right to worry about thread - that can be a danger to dogs or cats - and I suppose you just have to watch to see what other things kitty decides to go for that might not be in his best interest. I have a dog and am seriously allergic to cats but I know they can be just as affectionate as a dog. Enjoy! And do let us see your new baby when he/she arrives.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Awww Congrats on choosing to become the human to a kitty. Most are wonderful animals. My kitty Prissy (who is pictured on the left) was the best cat in the world. I suggest if you want a cat that will love to be cuddled and curl up under the covers with you in bed at night, look for a Bombay. Prissy was a bombay and they are bed kittys. They love to be in the bed with you and under the covers. Prissy used to sleep right up against me at night or she would get between my knees and sleep there. She loved to be petted and held too. I am sure that any kitty you choose will be wonderful. Just do what the other ladies have said here and you can't go wrong. Good luck and can't wait to see your new family member.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 PM

I too was a "Dog Person"...never liked or trusted cats until Ms Tiff...All white one blue eye one yellow....Had been my nieces for 10 yrs and then she had a baby and talked me into taking Ms Tiff or she'd have to take her to a shelter...I'm a sucker and said I'd give it a try.
I still love dogs (don't have one and they need much more care, walking etc...) I'd only have cats from now on...Ms Tiff was with us for 8 yrs...Then Ms Big a stray came to us and chose my husband in the backyd.
She's 19 now, we took her in at age 2, I can't imagine a day without her...She sleeps on the daybed while I sew and keeps me co.
She's diff in control but that's fine with us. She has her own beds and knows not to go on furniture unless her bed is in place. She's very smart.
I bought an automatic feeding dish that has 5 copartments and ice packs to keep the food cold over 3 days if we go away...it has a timer that you set for day and time to open each compartment. Great item to have if you do want to go away...I also leave dry food as a back up and lots of water.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Some lucky cat will be getting a great home! Might I suggest you go to an adoption facility and interact with several cats? The shelter staff should be familiar with their histories and know which one may be most suitable for your situation but one of the cats will probably wind up choosing YOU, and not visa-versa. The favorite cat toys here at home are a ball that goes around in a round track when the cats bat it and a furry mouse that has an electronic squeaker. Unfortunately the favorite time to play with said toys is 3am. If you want to really have some fun get a laser pointer and watch your cat try to catch the dot of light wherever you point it. I guarantee you'll laugh till your sides hurt. Good luck in your search, and I hope you find a perfect companion.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Some lucky cat will be getting a great home! Might I suggest you go to an adoption facility and interact with several cats? The shelter staff should be familiar with their histories and know which one may be most suitable for your situation but one of the cats will probably wind up choosing YOU, and not visa-versa. The favorite cat toys here at home are a ball that goes around in a round track when the cats bat it and a furry mouse that has an electronic squeaker. Unfortunately the favorite time to play with said toys is 3am. If you want to really have some fun get a laser pointer and watch your cat try to catch the dot of light wherever you point it. I guarantee you'll laugh till your sides hurt. Good luck in your search, and I hope you find a perfect companion.