View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Jo Belmont

If you had just one point of advice to give a first-time cat owner (considering the following) what would it be?

Until three years ago I've always had dogs, usually big ones who were always my best buddies. Since then I'm relocated to a small upstairs, apartment with windows on three sides. It is just me and I'm ready for a new fur baby.

I'm 71, somewhat arthritic, moderately active, and an avid quilter/sewer. I don't usually leave for more than 3-4 hours at a time a couple times a week. If longer, I have a friend who will attend to the cat's needs for me, but it likely wouldn't be more than three days once a year or so.

I have researched and studied my own life style and think I am ready for a short-hair cat (I'm used to dog hair, but would prefer to keep it on the shorter side). Male or female doesn't matter as it will be neutered if not already. I'm thinking older than a kitten, maybe even a senior cat which I'll adopt from an organization that attends to shots, worming, etc., so I know I'm bringing home a well cat. If it is not declawed, I will not have that done; I think best to leave them with their natural defenses.

As for stuff, I will get a couple padded (quilted?) window perches, a covered litter box (cleaned daily), food dishes, a scratching post and a few toys.

I have tried to look through my sewing room for things that could present a problem. I'll give away any potted plants that aren't hanging, check for loose blinds cords, etc. I'm concerned about thread in the machine if I should happen to forget to take it out and put it away. Is this a problem? I'd feel terrible if something happened to my new little one through my fault.

Oh, yes, and I hope that he/she decides to curl up in bed with me. That would be nice.

Sorry for rambling. It's undeniable how much you all love your little ones and I know I could do no better than to ask you for that one piece of advice you'd give to a never-before cat owner to get started off as well as possible. Thanks so much.