An unwelcome Visitor

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow.. I don't answer my door ..not anymore..

thanks for the post !
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM

I do not open the door to anyone I dont know. I pick up the phone and have it in my hand, go to a window and say, can I help you....I say just a minute to the phone. NO repairmen come unless someone else is here. If I have to have one, I call someone to come if my hubby is not here. I had an issue years ago with a phone repairman...horror story....ever since, beyond careful.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Years ago front door was always wide open and back unlocked so kids could come and go, and we didn't have any problems with theft. Nowadays it's a lot different. Back door is always kept locked and when answering the front door I look out the near by window first. Last month we began locking our cars too. DH found both of our cars with glove box opened and stuff thrown around, we don't leave anything of value in the cars so nothing was taken. Call Police and they came and took info, said that whoever was doing it hits big areas at a time looking for GPS, cell phones, Ipods, etc.

Also been getting lots of calls to that say ' there isn't any problem but they want to talk to us about our credit cards'. Checked with our bank and credit card co's, it wasn't them calling. Now if it's an 800 number calling I let the phone ring and they hang up after 4 rings.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
It is a good thing you called the police, because in this day & age, we do not know who we can trust.

One time when my husband was out of work, he responded to a newspaper ad for sales. It turned out to be a door-to-door sales deal. And what they did was take a car full of people to a neighborhood, drop them out at various locations and then come back later and pick them up. After going to 2 doors he stopped and waited to be picked up. Years later my niece got duped into a similar job selling office stationary.

So it is possible this person was doing the same thing and just really into the selling of it all. Kirby Vacuum salespeople hap pep rallies before they went out on the road.

But I do not buy anything from telemarketers or door-to-door salespersons, we just never know if they are truly who they claim to be.
Years ago, my second daughter took a summer job (she was in college) selling books door-to-door. She was one of many...These young people were dropped off in a neighborhood (she was in the South...kids from the South would ocme north) and they'd walk door-to-door all day doing their sales pitch. No, my daughter didn't stick out the whole summer, but it was an experience for her. We even had college kids coming (on foot!) in the country when my kids were small...Yes, it's an experience for them, but I'm sure it's not easy!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM

I never open my locked door to a stranger but if it's a big guy out there (I don't want my door kicked in), I open my window by the door and tell them "I don't open my door to strangers" Most understand and say so. The rest get to watch the jalousie window close. My DH just blithely opens the door.....but I have finally convinced him to check before he does that. He's such a trusting soul.

I think it was about 25 yrs ago that I had an epiphany.....just because someone wants me to answer a doorbell or knock or the ring of the phone does not mean I have to react to this invasion on my privacy.