Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • For or Against Trick or Treating?? >
  • For or Against Trick or Treating??

• For or Against Trick or Treating??

Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 AM
    Swap Hosts

I really used to love it, but in the last several years the visitors did seem to get bigger and bigger and many didn't bother with costumes. Our first few seemed to consist of teen-aged mothers with infants and toddlers with no costumes. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they wanted the candy for themselves! Which is OK. I went upstairs for a while and when I came down I noticed that it was very quiet. Turns out my husband put a sign on the door "No Candy! Sorry." What a party pooper!
    Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
    We lived in a neighborhood where we had the door bell ringing from 4 in the afternoon until 9 at night. Couldn't even sit down to eat dinner in peace. They soaped windows, threw eggs. I hated it. Now I live in a neighborhooe where the door bell rang 2 times. The children were polite. I wouldn't mind more of these children coming. The little ones enjoy it and I think it's fun for them.
    That's terrible that you had to go thru that. It shouldn't be that way, ever. I'm glad you can now enjoy it. I had to work last night so I called my daughter and asked her to turn off my porch light so she unscrewed my bulb to make sure it wouldn't auto come on as normal. My neighbor told me she had to go over 2 or 3 times to unscrew it again. She actually watched a woman go up to my totally dark house and screw it back in. I couldn't believe anyone would do such a thing and how did she even know it was unscrewed. You could tell that I wasn't home so it's not like by having it on was going to get candy for anyone. I didn't want my dogs to be barking with kids knocking and I didn't want kids and parents wasting time going to somewhere when no one was home.
    Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 AM

Think halloween is fun. when i taught in preschooland a parent did not beleive in it they kept their kids home during those few days. no one was ever forced to participate. Loved to take my kids out when little and now take grandkids.
    Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 AM

I enjoy seeing the kiddos in their costumes. Last night we had about 50 kids and they were the friendliest, most polite group of kids I've seen in a long time. We received many, many thank you's, and not just from the wee ones prompted by parents. There were several 8-10+ year olds, and almost all of them thanked us. I think there was only one child that had an extra bag for sick little brother. It was a fun evening. I shut the porch light off at 9pm 'cause that is late enough for the young people we want to deal with.
    Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 AM

I love it and went trick or treating last night with my 3 year old g baby and se had a ball. Lots of churches here have trunk or treats to keep the kids off the streets.
    Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Our church does "Trunks of Treats" where people come and decorate their car trunks and pass out the treats there. It provides a safe trick or treating experience for the kids. In recent years, we have incorporated games, a photographer, pumpkin carving and this year, a Halloween movie and popcorn, plus barbecued hot dogs. It is a a great outreach into our community and it is so much fun!
    Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM

I love trick or treating for the kids. Of course, a parent must go with them and examine their treats when they get home. At my granddaughter's school, they had something called trick or trunk or trunk and treat, or something like that. Parents or relatives put treats in their car trunk, and the kids paraded around the parking lot in their costumes. Very cute, very safe, and parents should dole out the treats as they see fit.
    Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by GABBYABBY
    Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i guess i just don't like teaching kids to beg for handouts of something that is just not good for them. halloween does not seem like a happy holiday.... ghosts, ghouls, goblins, blood and gore. but i must be wrong, because halloween has turned into one of the major holidays of the year.
    You are not alone!!! Halloween is the worst holiday!!!
    It teaches are children nothing about God and everything
    that is evil. No wonder children are growing up without
    respect for anything. And they are very selfish.
    It's not evil. It's about dressing up and getting candy. PERIOD. Kids don't know anything you don't tell them, so unless you go on and on about how dressing as a princess is evil, they will love it. And remember it as a fond childhood memory. Nobody celebrated evil. And we all grew up to be decent, law abiding citizens despite dressing up and eating a large volume of candy one night!
    Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 AM

I really do not like it at all. Our church has an alternative halloween party every year. Much more fun
    Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
    HATE ,HATE,HATE it ,plse keep it othere, we have enough problems at bonfire night.
    What's bonfire night? I didn't know you had "Trick or Treat" in England.