Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:31 PM

I would give her the qult -- perhaps for her daughter, but then, without making too big a deal out of it, mentin from time to time, how your quilting is going. She may have no idea how much is involved in making a quilt. When she says, "What's new?", you might talk about how you just got a great , idea/deal/new pattern/stash buster, etc.
She might be facinated or she might not be, but you will have given her an idea of what you put into a qult and perhaps build an appreciation for the art form.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM

There aren't many people who don't quilt that realize the expense involved in making one. With that said...if your heart is telling you to give her one of your quilts then do it. You'll probably be surprised how happy it makes you and her.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Why don't you make her a small gift like a quilted pouch for her scissors?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:48 PM

I would think something smaller would be more appropriate...however, your choice. I sent my hair dresser a card and
will add a generous tip when she does my hair next week. Maybe later on, you could do a
small quilt for her.

Last edited by janb; 12-17-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added a bit
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM

I have been going to my hairdresser for two years. I just had my hair cut and highlighted two days ago. I tipped him the cost of a haircut ($60). I would not give her a quilt if I were you. It is a lovely idea, but let your relationship grow over the next year before you do something like that. If I had only been to this hairdresser twice, I just would have given him a "regular" tip and been done with it.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM

When I got married to DH, a good friend looked at my diamond ring and said she had never been given a diamond ring before. Well, I have several, but I never thought she meant for me give her one.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM

You said you have more quilts than you know what to do with. Here is something to do with one! I bet she will love it, and you will feel so wonderful yourself!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:50 PM

I totally agree with what Sierra said: "A gift is a gift." Do what is in your heart, not expecting reciprocation. I think her comment about not having a quilt was only to say that not everyone has a quilt -- for instance, she doesn't have one. I don't think she was asking for the quilt. But regardless, give the quilt if you WANT her to have it, not if she's "worth" it or if she can return the favor. And no, you won't have to "top" that one next year. I also agreee with the person who said that a "fat tip" would probably be appreciated next year. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM

I personally think hold off for a year and see what your heart tells you then. If you're torn then I say wait. Especially if you've only
been to her twice.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
So you think it would be appropriate to give her a quilt? I've had people tell me that I shouldn't because it cost so much. So I don't know what to do. I really like her. I know she has no idea about how expensive quilts are and how much time it takes. I'm leaning toward giving her the quilt. I think I need to give her a Christmas gift since I'm going to be using her. And that's so cool that you got the crystal candy bowl. That is what is making me lean toward giving her the quilt.
I don't think I'd give her the quilt, since you have just begun working with her. Maybe you have some other craft that you have made that would still be a thoughtful gift, but not something that is so expensive. I gave my hairdresser a snap bag, (along with her tip) and she was thrilled with it. I used some cute animal prints and it came out really nice. Maybe if she turns out to be really super, you can do it next year.