Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My experience with Glue Basting. >

My experience with Glue Basting.

My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM

I bought a bottle with one of those small tips --- bummer. If you let it set very long it stops up and then you have to soak it in hot water, etc. I finally went back to just using the tip straight from Elmers - just barely opening it -- no problems. As mentioned on the board recently, if you buy a large supply of glue sticks you might want to store them in a plastic bag in the fridge &/or freezer to keep them from drying out. I had never thought of that but I did find some of my sticks dried out and I didn't have a big supply.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNancy View Post
Thanks for the great idea. I use Elmer's glue during my binding process but have never considered using it for lining up seams on blocks! I will try it!
I hope that you will be surprised and delighted with the ease and precision that I have found it gives.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
I use a glue stick on the first pieces in a line up to hold them down while paper piecing, but Never thought of doing that during regular quilting to hold seams together before sewing.... brilliant idea! Can't wait to try it! Thank you for sharing your handy trick Brenda!
Oh what a brilliant idea with paper piecing and the glue stick. I had never thought of that. Thanks for sharing your brilliant tip!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
Those are some nice points you have there !!
I must have missed hearing the tip to glue baste like that...I have been using it to do my bindings. I'm too cheap to buy the nice glue tip so I squirt a little on a scrap of fabric and run a pin tip through it and use a miniscule amount. I'll have to try that next time I'm piecing.
Oh see, another great tip! I would never have thought of running a pin through the glue and applying it that way. I am going to have to try this method. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
What a great idea! Your photos were very clear and very helpful. Thanks for sharing the idea.
I always worry about posting pictures; I am in no way a photographer and our camera is not one of the greatest. I was glad that they came out as clear as they did. Have fun trying this technique.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Why would you spend extra money instead of just using Elmers? With back to school upon us a bottle costs $0.50 and I'm sure the one you mentioned is more than that. I have some placemats with the binding glued on that are still holding strong after19 months.. Really do need to sew it down tho and finish them. LOL

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
Thanks for sharing this technique! I plan to try it. I'm glad you included the photographs. When I read your information, I pictured much more glue and wasn't interested. After I saw how little you used, I think it is a great idea. I am going to use Roxanne's. Glue-Baste-It. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
I had never thought about using glue for the binding (or anywhere in the quilt for that matter - before reading this). So I have now watched Sharon Schamber's video on how she glue bastes her binding - and I am wanting to try glue on both piecing and the binding.

That nice little glue tip - I have never seen that before. Where does one find that at? Looks very helpful in regulating the amount of glue that comes out.
Using the glue for the binding is a magnificent help in my book. Now, after reading all of the tips and suggestions on various methods others use, I know I am going to try so many of these. It really does make quilting/sewing/applique so much easier. I am not sure where to find the tip. I would imagine that most online quilting stores and local quilting stores would have them in stock; with as much as (I have found out from this post alone) quilters use this technique and well just Elmers Washable School Glue in so many various ways.

But also, remember what some of the other tips have been stated here....you may discover that you may not want it. Yeah right, LOL, very few quilters do not love getting all of the wonderful helpful gadgets/tools that make it easier.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM

I make a lot of string quilts for charity. I like the 'look' of the same solid strip down the center of each square ususally about 1-1/2" black. Then when it is done I can play with a pattern with that strip and just gives the whole quilt a point of interest. Using a glue stick to hold down that first piece nice and straight, makes all the difference in the world, as try to pin fabric to deli paper is difficult at best....
Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
I love glue basting! I've used it to hold small quilt sandwiches together while quilting too.
Glue basting is my Number 1 tip at this time and the method that works brilliantly! I am looking forward to trying it on a queen sized quilt and seeing how it holds up. Everyone who has mentioned it really likes the method. Loving glue basting more and more with every post I read!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
and also to Chicca: This is the advice I was giving when I asked the same question http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...t159381-4.html

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to set your preferences as a default. At least I haven't figured it out, but that wouldn't be surprising for me.
Oh thank you for sharing this...I am definetely going to be reading this and going from there.