Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I had to have a back to school door hanging >

I had to have a back to school door hanging

I had to have a back to school door hanging

Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Great quilt! I remember learning to read using these books. The fabric brings back happy memories. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Liz22 View Post
Oh Kathleen, I love it!
I am a paraprofessional in special education and we start in two weeks! I have really enjoyed my summers. I have been at the high school level for 13 years, but have a second job during summers and weekends. My other job is at an assisted living home, and I love it! Everyone becomes attached to them and it's sad when they leave or pass on. It's like having a bunch of grandmas! (mine are all gone now.)
I like your quilt, but wasn't in that era of dick and Jane. Have a great school year!
Liz22, paraprofessionals are so important in our classrooms. We couldn't do it without you guys. Hope you have a wonderful school year. School has been in session for three days now. The students and I were ready for the weekend. LOL We need to ease into it, I guess.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
In my Catholic grade school, we had John, Judy and Baby. I don't remember if the dog was Spot, but the kitten was Little Mew. When I got older, I looked at those books again and noticed that in the first book or two, Father comes home with a lunch pail, dressed as if he works in a factory. In a later book, they move into a new house, have a new baby, and go to church to have it baptized. What other reading book that you know of has anything to say about going to church? Not even in the Catholic school!
maviskw, that is very unusual even for back then when you think about it. My gosh, please would die if something like that would appear in a reader now days.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary View Post
First of all, your quilt is just precious!

Second...Yes, I remember them! I'm a retired teacher and about 15 years ago a first grade student of mine, who came from a home with limited income, gifted me with an old copy of the exact Dick and Jane book I had grown up on. He seemed embarrassed because the book had ragged edges, and torn pages, but I told him I was thrilled to have such a good memento of my own school days! I kept that book on display for the rest of my teaching days, and had so much fun going back to look at it, and share with my students!
Grandma Mary, how awesome! What a perfect little gift.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Love your door hanging -- I too learned with Dick and Jane and I read all the time. My kids went to parochial school in the early 80's and they had a version (names may have been different) that were integrated and had a single Mom. Similar concept -- easy for the kids to read.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM

I remember Dick and Jane so well. And your door hanging is just so neat! What fun!
As far as the politically correct complaints, we have to remember that was then, this is now. It was a whole different world back then. Our grandkids will have a completely different set of memories to look back on. One thing I wish though, is that the kids would be taught to read using phonics, as we did. You can read anything once you learn that. I think it may be coming back in some areas.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:38 PM

That is adorable!!! Great job.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
The method of repeated phrases is good, but still use them---no way.

The situations are not what the children of today can identify with. All complete families, mom is home, and do you see anyone of color?
I was born and raised in PA and learned to read with Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot and Puff. There was another book that followed that had people of color, but I do not recall the girl's name or much about it. Things were different then and attention was not drawn to skin color when I was in school. We lived in a very deverse neighborhood and what I remember most about it was the wonderful array of ethnic foods. It was such fun to be invited to a friend's house after school, and to get to eat different kinds of cooking than what was served at our house. Those truely were the Good Old Days. Things were not termed "Politically Correct" they were either "Right or Wrong" behavior and dealt with accordingly. ;o)
What a neat and beautiful door quilt. Kudos to you and thanks for the memories.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I was born and raised in PA and learned to read with Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot and Puff. There was another book that followed that had people of color, but I do not recall the girl's name or much about it. Things were different then and attention was not drawn to skin color when I was in school. We lived in a very deverse neighborhood and what I remember most about it was the wonderful array of ethnic foods. It was such fun to be invited to a friend's house after school, and to get to eat different kinds of cooking than what was served at our house. Those truely were the Good Old Days. Things were not termed "Politically Correct" they were either "Right or Wrong" behavior and dealt with accordingly. ;o)
What a neat and beautiful door quilt. Kudos to you and thanks for the memories.
I agree, Just Jan, I am Italian and no one in my family looked like Sally, Dick nor Jane. My dad worked blue collar and my mom was way too busy at home to even allow us to have pets (Puff and Spot). But, I learned to read from these books. I also understood that there were people of different colors in the world, even in my city, and people that had different family types, but it didn't scar me for life. I think over the past 20-30 years, we have really made a mess of things and it seems to just get worse the more we try.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Wow, there's a blast from the past! Yes I remember them, and I totally blame them for me being a bookworm today lol.