Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price? >
  • Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

• Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 AM

Seems high to me too.
    Old 10-04-2013, 06:25 AM

That would be a good price here. Basic loose meander is 2.5 cents per square inch (so $211 for the dimensions named). Does not include batting (that's like another $30-50 depending on the type chosen). Additional charges if there needs to be any pressing done or threads trimmed, etc.

This is the whole reason I learned to quilt. I can't afford to send quilts out.
    Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
    That would be a good price here. Basic loose meander is 2.5 cents per square inch (so $211 for the dimensions named). Does not include batting (that's like another $30-50 depending on the type chosen). Additional charges if there needs to be any pressing done or threads trimmed, etc.

This is the whole reason I learned to quilt. I can't afford to send quilts out.
    I'm also in Iowa, but I've found that basic loose meandering is more in the 1 to 1.5 cent range. I agree that 2.5 cents would become cost prohibitive in a hurry!
    Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM

I think $200 would be a good price if it is a fairly dense meander, especially if the thread, batting, and prep work are included in that price. When I take my car to the mechanics, he charges for his time plus the parts. Batting and thread are the parts to quilting the quilt so I would think it natural to pay my longarmer for these "parts."
    Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 AM

I think that 200 is to high, I pay .02 cents an inch and that includes thread, not batting.
    Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 AM

I agree too high. I would have paid that for custom not a meander. I have longarmed quilt and a meander takes an hour. An hour for set up and 1/2 hour to get it off the frame. So being generous 3 hours work for 200 is way too much.
    Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 PM
    Power Poster

What is the difference? If your are happy with it that's all that matters. Always choices in life. Pay the price or learn to do it your self. I do my own quilting and everything else related to quilt making. I have two 9" throat machines that I use. With practice it is not hard to do.
    Old 10-04-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    I'm also in Iowa, but I've found that basic loose meandering is more in the 1 to 1.5 cent range. I agree that 2.5 cents would become cost prohibitive in a hurry!
    I took the price right off the LQS's website. 1.5 would be much more affordable.
    Old 10-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
    What is the difference? If your are happy with it that's all that matters.
    Before I got my own LA about 12 yrs ago, I quilted by check. I paid up to $325 for a beautiful custom quilt in a style I loved. Would have gladly gone back but she was starting to get too much business, so turn around time was way to long. Notice.....too much business at $325 for a throw size. Yep! You get what you pay for.

I couldn't find anyone else who did such beautiful work locally. Also, I wanted to put my quilts in national competitions and professional quilting is not really desireable. So I got my own machine and put in the practice. Now I'm liking what I do.

Thanks for the added info on the quilt. I still think $200 for your size quilt including the batting is reasonable....if you like it. No way can I quilt a queen size in 1hour. More like 4-6 hrs + load and unload.

Sometimes we're embarrassed to think we were taken advantage of, so we search and barter for the BEST PRICE. This is not always the BEST DEAL.
    Old 10-04-2013, 05:35 PM

That is what it cost me the last time I had one quited in Texas.