What are you reading?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:11 AM

Speaking of reading........how many of you use an e-book (Kindle or Nook)? I have some Christmas money that wants to find a new home and I'm interested in purchasing an e-book. What do you like about them? Do you find enough to read thru your library? I don't want to spend $$$ on books, so I still want to be frugal. Is that possible with an e-reader? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
I am almost done the last book in the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel. They are really good books if you can look past the sex scenes. I tend to skim or skip those. I am about to start The Game of Thrones series but am wondering about the wisdom in that because the series is not done yet...Happy reading!
earths children....is that the series that begins with clan of the cave bear? I read that whole series and was truly fascinated by her writing of it......
Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 AM

I have a kindle...and truly am not really into e-books....I also have it on my iPad........my problem is when I tap to page over I guess I am heavy handed or aim at the wrong place or whatever and many times have lost my page and have a devil of a time finding it again...gets very disconcerting......easier for me to hold a book and flip pages....no secret spots to throw me off. The only books I buy are those I might find interesting at the local goodwill store, but because there they are shelved very haphazardly it is time consuming to look thru titles....I order from the library and go pick up when in...I haven't tried the book method from library....like I said, I like the book-in-hand method.....just me being behind the times.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:19 PM

David's Brooks 'The Road to character", fantastic book.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Yes Geri. The Earth's Children series does start with the Clan of the Cave Bear. Love her writing!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Nora, I have to say, I am considered part of the "younger" generation and I still love my books. I have an android tablet and have a few e-reader programs on it and I almost never use them.

On the other hand, it is possible to be frugal with an e-reader as you can find many of the classics free or really cheap. Plus having 1000 books on an e-reader takes up a whole lot less space than 1000 hard or paper back books.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM

I read a lot on my IPad with Kindle. I get lots of free books through BookBub. There are other free sources as well, &
of course your local library. I appreciate the e-books because ti is difficult for me to hold books with my arthritic fingers & with e-books it is easy. Highly recommend, but some people really prefer real books.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Default How about Barbara Kingsolver?

I am surprised Barbara Kingsolver hasn't been mentioned. The Poisonwood Bible is my all-time favorite book.
I am now reading the Sue Grafton books and am on V.
All the Light You Cannot See is also very good.
I use a Kindle to read and love it.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
Speaking of reading........how many of you use an e-book (Kindle or Nook)? I have some Christmas money that wants to find a new home and I'm interested in purchasing an e-book. What do you like about them? Do you find enough to read thru your library? I don't want to spend $$$ on books, so I still want to be frugal. Is that possible with an e-reader? Thanks!
NoraB- I have a Kindle Fire which my DD got me about 4 years ago and I have learned to really like it. I would recommend going with a Kindle brand of some type, there are several on Amazon. They are easy to use partly because it is connected to Amazon and also is an option through the library. I don't spend much at all between the library and a website called BookBub. Some are free on Book Bub or a dollar or two.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:14 AM

I'm reading A Sudden Light by Garth Stein. A family conflict story about the Riddells. It is well written and is keeping me enthralled all the way through. Definitely recommended.