Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 02-25-2024, 03:22 PM

How about using them in Potato Chip Blocks? Or cut down to 2.5 or use as HST combined with other contrasting fabric that you have on hand. A photo might help us imagine what you are using and what is left over.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:02 PM

Hi Rff, that sounds like interesting fabric, but WMU is right - having a picture, or even a basic colourway and size of print motif would help us visualize ideas. :-)
Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 PM

So things have been reasonably quiet here on the Fabric Moratorium wagon... I hope that means that everyone is eye-deep in their stashes finding treasures to use up!

I've not been doing too much sewing, but on the bright side, I've not been doing any shopping either! In terms of projects underway, I do have one to talk about. :-) I have almost entirely decided to participate in my guild's challenge quilt (wall hanging size) for the upcoming show in May. It's way out of my skill set and comfort level but I gave myself personal goals of trying something new, using what I have and having fun with it. I hope I feel happy enough with the final product to actually submit it to the show!

So far I've really enjoyed the process of learning about and trying out new techniques. It's also been a lot of fun to juggle fabric scraps and look at what I have and come up with ideas that I couldn't possibly execute and then look again and come up with a totally different idea that is (so far) looking pretty good!

I'm not ready to share any pictures but I have been taking some for when it's done. Looking forward to hearing more about what you are doing with your stashes, too! Happy first of the month!
Old 03-02-2024, 03:25 AM

Recenetly did a major tidy up in the sewing room. Needs a little more work but I am rewarding myself for working so hard by making strip quilts. Have a partial roll of exam table paper, cut into 6" squares. Found an interesting container of fabric and cutting those pieces into 2, 1.5, and 1.75 strips. Strip blocks alternate with whilte squares so I get a really colorful, cheery quilt for Project Linus. This is the second one this month and plan to get 4 tops done for our PL quilter to finish.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:09 AM

I also have noticed the silence too but have been too busy "busting the stash" to contribute. Like GEMM, I have lots in progress. Two quilts finished in February, baby quilts all stash. Two quilts layered and ready for quilting. One all stash the second needed to have a purchased back. The third was finished in January but I need to find or purchase a back. So for February I have purchased less than 5 yards of fabric and finished with a total of 15 yards our the door. I have not calculated the donation fabric that left me in February.

Then there are several BOM and quilt club/group sew-a-long and a beautiful beast of a quilt I volunteered to finish for someone else cluttering up my sewing space. Nearly all from stash except the "Beautiful Beast" of course. Congrats to me! I was at an event yesterday and walked away with less than two yards of fabric from the give away table. I have a very limited stash of juvenile/baby prints and I found one that is soft colored tumbling bears. It does not lean to pink or blue and will fill the bill for a last minute unexpected quilt for a little one.

Time to go sew and create a "finish" this weekend. Picture early next week, fingers crossed. .
Old 03-02-2024, 05:36 AM

I've been having various machine problems and am not up to daily sewing yet... I have been good about not buying except for what I already said I'd be buying. Have faced lots of temptation but have stayed strong!

I have just finished my scrap border units for my Christmas string quilt project, but I haven't taken off the paper or put the borders on yet. Am at the same place on my Bonnie Hunter top, or at least that the borders are not on yet.

I do need to prioritize some shelving purchases for the closets I had built so I can put my existing fabric away and so other things can go where they belong but have fabric totes in that location. We are going out today to pick up some free range farm chicken and duck eggs -- think we can maybe at least go look at some storage solutions while we are out and about.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:09 AM

I wish I could say that I've been busy sewing, and just not posting, but sewing has taken a back seat at the moment. I am gearing up for a week-long bicycling excursion next month, so I've been spending up to three hours at a time on a bike trainer. But today is a rest day, so if I have time after I clean the house and walk the dogs, there may be a bit of sewing going on. We are in the process of purchasing a new bed and are changing around our extra bedrooms to allow better sleeping arrangements for when our kids come to visit. That resulted in several extra pillow shams that are not going to be used. They are still in good shape, so I think I'll make them into small quilts. Our guild will then pair the small quilt up with a stuffed animal and donate them to the local EMS units. Win-win. If I ever get back to my sewing machine, I'll post some photos.

Last edited by woodland creature; 03-02-2024 at 07:10 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 03-02-2024, 07:38 PM

Back home from my vacation and been doing some sewing. Did a little EPP while away from home. Just sent my Jewel Box Star to my quilter and using the Stashbusters method to calculate yardage out - I now have taken 5.75 yards out of my stash. I can also take away 3 yards from my backings.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:59 AM

Way to go sync!
I was spending way too much time on fabric websites and was so, so tempted. I closed them all out and now I'm here to keep me grounded. I picked fabric from stash yesterday to start a new project. I' m just waiting for the project to tell me if it wants to be a Lone Star quilt or Cathedral Windows. Let's hope the feeling of fabric shopping passes quickly. ​​​
Old 03-05-2024, 01:59 PM

Made a promise out loud to myself not to buy any fab in 2024. Unfortunately my husband and son heard me.... Now if I need neutral for secondary blocks, I'm checking backs of ugly fab to see if it will work. So far so good. HOWEVER, as a reward for using stash, I do allow myself to get my monthly free yard at the quilt shop.