Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders >

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Old 08-30-2023, 01:58 PM

Default QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Ricky Tims is going to encourage groups of 6 to rethink how round-robin quilting should happen with recorded lessons along the way to enjoy whenever you like into the future. .... Anticipate the encouragement of cutting things up that come to you. Cutting up isn't required but it sure sounds like our work will become a disappearing nine-patch type of ensemble. It could be interesting. Quilting Board Team Sign-ups will be accepted through September 15. We don't even have to do a design around whatever we receive! So long as it is bigger than we receive it is the only obligation.

Please PM me with
  • Your Board Name
  • Full Name
  • Complete Address
  • Best Phone Number (please specify cell, home or work)
  • Email Address
Here's a link to the project: https://www.letsquilttogether.com/sh...=directmailmac

Here is a description straight from the website:

What Is Mad Adders?
Mad Adders is a concept to create a wall quilt, primarily created using patchwork, in a round-robin fashion. The six individuals each provide a starter piece and each participant adds to it. The originator should not see their project until the reveal party. After the reveal party, the originator may then alter, change, or add to their quilt top and then finish it as desired. The size of the finished quilt is not limited, but would likely be no larger than 60” with most quilts finishing in the 36”-50” range.

It will cost to have access to the classes he is offering (about $74.98 per person -- you register on his website) and the postage to ship the project to the next person (priority mail?), to say nothing of the cost of the fabric BUT it would be an interesting learning experience especially if we all accept that our work will likely be sliced and diced by everyone. Friendship to be made, joy to be shared!

We need a 6-member USA team. I cannot afford to ship out of the country, sorry. Each member starts with their center and then sends it to the next person. There is a one-month turnaround to ship the project to the next person on the list. There is a class taught each month by Ricky that you can watch live or whenever convenient.

No reveals until the grand reveal. But we can talk about it!!

So here are a handful of rules. The rules in italics are from Ricky.
  • cutting up of your work is to be expected
  • Mad Adders is a piecing project only (until you get yours back and then you can do what you like)
  • cutting up what we get is likely new to all of us so don't spend a fortune getting new fabric -- this could be a great stash-shopping project! At the same time, only use fabric you would want to use in your quilt for a long-lasting quilt
  • small wall hanging sized projects sound good? -- we will be shipping things around the country six times!
  • we have to be able to laugh at ourselves as we learn from Ricky
  • one one-month turnaround before it is time to ship to the next team member
  • some may have to drop out before the end -- expect the unexpected -- no guilt allowed! If you have to drop out, send me the project you have in hand and I will get you your project back.
  • Pictures: take pictures of your work along the way to document the progress (one or as many as you like)-- maybe a thumb drive to send with the quilt in progress would be useful? I think journey entries to pack with the quilt in progress too would be useful. We might as well share thoughts and jokes and recipes as we build a history of this quilted creation. Here is what Ricky says about documenting with photos: Each person will be required to take a digital photo their starter piece (smart phone or otherwise). Then, each person will need to take a digital photo once they finish their addition each month. These photo need to be kept and organized (perhaps offloaded into a folder so they are not lost/buried on your smart phone) until the Reveal Party, so that each participant can then see the evolution of their work as it traveled from person to person. The originator will photo their project once they have added all the finishing touches. Photos should NOT be shared during the process. Each participant will be responsible for taking photos and keeping track of them for the Reveal Party. Additional details and criteria about photography will be given once Mad Adders starts.
  • in the end we can embellish and rework what we want to so we are going to end up with something amazing that we like or can incorporate into a bigger quilt as we please
  • Starter Piece Size: 16x16 or 256 square inches. After the first LIVE session, each person will prepare their starter piece – no larger than 16” x 16”, or 256 square inches. The starter piece can be simple patchwork (squares, triangles, regular quilt block), or it could be representational, such as a house, a tree, an animal, a scene, etc. Paper piecing is an option. Guidance for the starter piece will be given during the first LIVE session. Remember, future participants can slice and divide the work to push forward the project. Having said that, participants are urged to use wisdom and to have a clear purpose for making such extreme changes.
  • Totes: Each person will assemble a tote bag that includes their manifest, a starter piece, and fabrics that were used (or that the maker would like to see used later in the quilt). Keep in mind, the subsequent Mad Adders will have full reign to do what they wish.
  • Fabric: Each Mad Adder should add to the piece using fabrics from the tote, but also consider using new fabrics and then adding some of those to the tote as well. These fabrics will assist the next person with coordinating the continuity and provide the opportunity to unify the overall design. How much fabric should be added? That’s up to each person and the availability of what that person has on hand. It can be a little or a lot.
  • Team Name: We need a team name as it is needed at registration -- put that thinking hat on and post some ideas, please!
  • Register by Oct 1 with Ricky Tims and class starts Oct 4
Zoom meetings have been recommended for the group to chat while working -- but not showing what they are doing! (as per Ricky: Establish a team of six quilters who live remotely and meet using Zoom. With this scenario, each person will be required to mail totes at the appropriate time. Naturally, this method would require additional expense as the totes would be shipped once a month over the course of six months. The Reveal Party would be virtual.)
  • REVEAL PARTY!!! (virtual)
I am the organizer so I get to keep track of everything. Once I have six people who want to participate, I will make a list, share it with the participants, and you will receive your number in the round-robin cycle. Send your initial center to the next person on the list with tracking and let them know it is coming. Send me the tracking number.

Schedule:October 4th, 9AM – Introduction with Ricky – Getting Started
First pass to be received by the LIVE Lesson on November 1st, 9AM
Second pass to be received by the LIVE on December 6th, 9AM
Third pass to be received by the LIVE on January 3rd, 9AM
Fourth pass to be received by the LIVE on February 4th, 9AM
Fifth pass to be received by the LIVE on March 9th, 9AM
Sixth pass to be received by the LIVE on April 3rd, 9AM
Reveal Parties should be held between April 3rd and April 15th

Final deadline for finished quilts, photos, and submissions is May 29th.
Would anyone like to join in? If any of you have advice for this newbie organizer, it would be very welcome! September 15 is the deadline to join up.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:10 PM

I will be out of the country on one of those dates. In Peru. Will I be able to connect by zoom, miss that session or not participate?
Old 08-31-2023, 03:40 PM

The lessons are recorded and accessible anytime at all that is convenient to you after the live session. He said we can access them forever. May I go to Peru with you? Is it work or vacation?
Old 09-01-2023, 06:48 AM

Potential team members, please do not register with Ricky Tims site until we have our team in place. We need a committed team of six and a team name to register. So far QB has only five folks considering the challenge so we don't have a team in place yet. Thanks!

potential QB Adders Challenge folks:
1. ibex94
2. Yiayia
3. c joyce
4. 1CharmShort
5. Petthefabric
Old 09-06-2023, 01:12 PM

Would we mail each month using a Flat Rate Box to keep costs down/consistent?
Old 09-06-2023, 03:27 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Shawnee,
Unfortunately we didn’t have the request number of participants. I am sure Ricky Tims will be doing this class again. If anyone is still interested add your name here and I will post when he advertises his next class. I am on his mailing list. He is the only person that I have taken a class from and would not hesitate to take another.
Old 09-06-2023, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yiaya View Post
Shawnee,
Unfortunately we didn’t have the request number of participants. I am sure Ricky Tims will be doing this class again. If anyone is still interested add your name here and I will post when he advertises his next class. I am on his mailing list. He is the only person that I have taken a class from and would not hesitate to take another.
Oh, I thought we were still in the possibility window - it said register with him by 10/1. =)
Old 09-06-2023, 03:56 PM

Shawnee,
Already too late?
It says to register by October 1, and it doesn't begin until October 4, but I do see they have limited enrollment available ...is that why we're too late?

Ibex?

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-06-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:36 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Oops, my mind is going! I thought it was September 1. I am sorry for the mixup 😂.
I quilt far better than I read, honest!!
Old 09-06-2023, 08:05 PM

Oops, my mind is going! I thought it was September 1. I am sorry for the mixup 😂.
I quilt far better than I read, honest!!
hahaha
no worries Yiaya...you could actually be right if the groups have already filled up on Ricky Tim's Mad Adder page.
and..
I'm still chasing my marbles all over.....haven't quite lost them all yet, but...

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-06-2023 at 08:08 PM.