Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders >

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Old 09-09-2023, 11:35 AM

1CharmShort, I really, really liked your signature line in the PM and so upgraded it to a name option. Forgive me?

Here are some more silly ones just to inspire you all to come up with something unique and perfect for us. Yiayia made me do it....

Tims Twirling Tadders
QB's Flinging Flimsies (can you see the BOOM influence here?)
QBP3 (Plan Piece Pulverize)

I'm still working on 6 P words to form a QBP6 acronym. The problem with using an acronym is no one, but us, will know what it means.

Onions (because we will be slicing and dicing and have so many layers in our lives) -- too philosophical, right?

Put your thinking caps on everyone (that means anyone reading this thread). Help us find the perfect name for the team if we get our team commitments by Sept 15.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:49 AM

I like onions.

I can’t make up my mind. I’ve been living on the “safe” side. But maybe I need a push to get me creative again. Hmmmm.

What is the purpose for Ricky Tim’s classes? I’m concerned about how much time this commitment is? I’m willing to commit 8 hrs/mo but not 40.

Maybe “Passion Fruits” because I might be a little fruity to take on such a passionate project.

Last edited by petthefabric; 09-09-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:53 AM

Names....hmmm
Well, as Mad Adders,
we are adding
and we are slicing
and adding again
and adding more
and making everything even more fabulous...
less is more
more is less
and good things come in 6 packs....right?
there might be a song lyric in there somewhere....or a fun math term?

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-09-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
I like onions.

I can’t make up my mind. I’ve been living on the “safe” side. But maybe I need a push to get me creative again. Hmmmm.

What is the purpose for Ricky Tim’s classes? I’m concerned about how much time this commitment is? I’m willing to commit 8 hrs/mo but not 40.

Maybe “Passion Fruits” because I might be a little fruity to take on such a passionate project.
I so hope you can play with us!
It sounds like we only have to work on 1 piece each month. Add borders to it, or slice it somewhere and add something to the space created....just one addition to one piece each month....plus watch a zoom class once a month. and that class can be accessed over and over again whenever you like. Maybe no more than 2 hours a month or so?

The first month might take the most attention: choosing your fabrics and making your 16x16" block then listing your likes/ ideas/suggestions/directions on a paper and getting a tote to hold it all. Then there is shipping a tote each month.

And then...
*heavy sigh*
you may have (emphasis on that word have) to come here and read Mad Adder posts
that could take lots of time in my home...

This is my official boot in your official derriere...just to get you started

Oh
and
I promise not to monopolize the conversation....

and...
we are so good together here on this QB, that we will most likely win!
that's $600.... $100 each!
hahaha
well less likely things have happened b4...

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-09-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:23 PM

Pet -- great to see you!

Ricky has some very interesting perspectives on how to treat creative efforts in quilting. I understand how Round Robins work but adding balanced boundaries around a pre-existing creation doesn't inspire me. His suggesion is to cut into the existing flimsy as if it is regular piece of fabric and work from there. His classes (1 hr a month) are to give us confidence to try new ways to approach the cutting. Here's the blurb that appealed to me:

Each month Ricky Tims will present a one-hour LIVE Zoom lessons to provide insights, techniques, tips and tricks, as well as assignments and criteria for moving forward. Source: https://www.letsquilttogether.com/sh...dders-2023-24/

I was lucky enough to take a class from him in central Mississippi and although he was exhausted, he shared some amazing insights that made me enjoy the process more. I suspect his insight will linger in me long after the lessons this time, too. He is all about positive feedback and encourgement. Working with a team as we try new techniques will give me confidence. Or maybe it won't, lol. Only one way for me to find out.

I recognize that this process is not going to be everyone's cup of tea (to steal from his "virtual worldwide tea party" theme). And I am very glad you're asking questions! Thank you Pet!

And your sticks and stones quilt has me convinced that this is the perfect venue for you! But if you can't and don't have the time, I get it.

Have you made room for me in your suitcase for Peru? Are you going on a quilting trip?
Old 09-09-2023, 12:36 PM

Here is a very short Facebook video of Ricky Tims explaining, and a few examples of what this is or could be:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1255211351824976
Old 09-09-2023, 12:45 PM

1CharmShort -- you described what I think will go on, too. Thank you for explaining it perfectly!

There is no reason the flat mail rate shipping box can't be the tote. The idea is to keep it all together, right? A big ole zip lock bag to keep everything dry tucked into a flat rate box sounds reliable to me. But if I can create a tote just for this project, that might be fun, too.

We are supposed to send fabric with every round to help us keep the quilt tied together no matter what. Is a fat quarter of a key fabric you used big enough? A fat eighth won't make it through five rounds and anything bigger than a fat quarter seems like overkill. All the fabric may ultimately have to be used by the originator of the center or the pieces can be sewn together to make the back. I haven't made my center yet. Perhaps the center maker should send a half yard of key fabric(s)? I am thinking about the BOOM swaps and how extra fabric is really helpful in case of oopsies. Maybe Ricky will tell us how to plan this out.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:21 AM

In my morning mail I got an announcement for a free quilting summit starting Sept 18. It includes a tote making class....https://rebecca-page.com/quilting-su...id=91k7_c8iq1&

I may just make myself a tote for the Adders project. I am sure there are a ton of other free tote projects out there. Do you have a favorite? Please post a link for it.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
In my morning mail I got an announcement for a free quilting summit starting Sept 18. It includes a tote making class....https://rebecca-page.com/quilting-su...id=91k7_c8iq1&

I may just make myself a tote for the Adders project. I am sure there are a ton of other free tote projects out there. Do you have a favorite? Please post a link for it.
The summit looks fun... and I might learn something new thanks for the link

OMG
I love to collect (free) purse, bag, tote, clutch, backpack, bucket, bin etc patterns

I have a folder on my desktop marked bags + totes + buckets + bins +
no exaggeration....I have more than 150 free patterns in that folder
and even more on an external backup drive....
just a quick search on youtube can get you many dozens of free patterns for totes & bags
some of my faves are recycled denim versions like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkp4jwARS_Y

and here are so many more upcycled denim tote tutorials/free patterns
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cled+denim+bag

this tote is fun, quick and easy once you get the hang of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskbDx1K0hA

and most of these totes are easy
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+bag+patterns

pattern collecting has become a space hogging thing on my computer it seems.

just like with quilts, sometimes I like (or don't like) the tote just because of the fabric used

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-10-2023 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:18 AM

Fine rabbit hole you sent me into!!