Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you do with your wedding dress? >

What did you do with your wedding dress?

What did you do with your wedding dress?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Mine was given to a local bridal shop to use for girl friends of military men. They let the gal pick her dress. If it needs alteration they do it for them. I think that this was a great idea. Another use of the wedding gown is to use it to lay into a bassinett and let you gown become the skiriting. This is usually done for a girl. I had a friend who is a home ec. teacher and she took her daughter'w wedding dress and used the material to make her grandson's deciation out fit. People try to sell them on ebay I say offer it to some one who needs it. I have two daughters who have been married twice. So I have four gowns store in my upstairs. LOL
Old 05-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
I gave it back to them :lol: We got married in Eureka Springs, Ar at an old timey photo shop with wedding chapel. Took about 30 mintues from the time we walked in the door. I wore an old fashioned Victorian dress and hubs was decked out as old west sheriff ....shotgun and all! It was a cheap wedding and we eloped!!! They made me wear red lipstick so I look like a whore. :lol:
Hey Marsye...if that's what you really look like...you're a doll.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:49 PM

I married at a base in France. No time to go to England shopping, nothing in France or Germany. Fellow members brought dresses to my room and my 2 attendents had a ball choosing a dress. One had just returned from her honeymoon and loaned me her dress that had been shipped from home. My headdress was French and my shoes German. We are now in our 53 yr.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:05 PM

I donated it to the salvation army for someone to wear..Darn!! I shoulda made a divorce quilt !
Old 05-29-2010, 04:18 PM

Mine is hanging in my mothers trailer,she put it in a sealed bag and there it has been for 34yrs.Neither of my daughter-in-laws or daughter were able to wear it.It was a size 5,each of them wore either an 8,12, or 14.I made my daughter's and now I have it too, along with a miniture one that fits an 18 month old I showed it to my granddaughter who wore it she thought it was very pretty.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:35 PM

My dress was made by my dear aunt. One of my three daughters wore it on her wedding even though it has turned from a white to a beautiful pearl color. Many years after my wedding, I was into making dolls and made my aunt a doll using the fabric from my wedding dress. I felt bad that I had a drop of blood on it but my aunt cried when she saw it because she said that she had put blood on my dress but was able to cover it with lace. In November my dear husband and I will celebrate our 50 years together. The dress is still stored, but I like the idea of making hankies for everyone. Love all your stories and pictures.

I wore a hoop with the dress. Love those glasses!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75552[/ATTACH]

Oh to be that small again.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75553[/ATTACH]

The bridal doll is the material from my dress.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75554[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-75547.jpe   attachment-75548.jpe   attachment-75549.jpe  
Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Debbie B
Originally Posted by marsye
I gave it back to them :lol: We got married in Eureka Springs, Ar at an old timey photo shop with wedding chapel. Took about 30 mintues from the time we walked in the door. I wore an old fashioned Victorian dress and hubs was decked out as old west sheriff ....shotgun and all! It was a cheap wedding and we eloped!!! They made me wear red lipstick so I look like a whore. :lol:
Hey Marsye...if that's what you really look like...you're a doll.
hahahahahahahhahahhaaaaaaaaa......thats me....but because of the old west sepia style photo they made me wear very dark lipstick or they said my lips wouldn't show in the picture. The colored pictures look much better!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Very pretty dress! :thumbup:
Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 PM

mine is in a plastic bag in my ceder chest, minus the two arms I cut off to make two shadow boxes that contained things from our wedding and son and daughtes weddings. I just have one, and the hubby is still the greatest guy in the world after 53 years.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:26 PM

I don't know where I saw it but a lady took her old wedding dress and made a quilt for her daughter when she got married. It was beautiful. It was a crazy quilt and she used the netting and everything. Just a thought.