Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What did you do with your wedding dress? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-did-you-do-your-wedding-dress-t47254.html)

craftybear 05-27-2010 06:21 AM

What did you do with your wedding dress?

mine is still hanging in the closet (got married October 1975)

mytwopals 05-27-2010 06:24 AM

I never had a wedding dress. I rented a tuxedo, instead. :lol:

quilter1 05-27-2010 06:28 AM

I just looked at mine again last week. It is made from embroidered fine netting and it lives in the bottom of one of my stash boxes. I always wanted to do something with it but don't know what to do. I also have the long lace coat my Mom wore to my wedding, she passed away 8 months later at age 56(my age now). I would love to make a treasure from that too. So there they both have been for 28 years.

Rebecca VLQ 05-27-2010 06:28 AM

I think it's at my parent's house...it will be ten years in June! Think maybe they want the closet space back?

Maride 05-27-2010 06:29 AM

Mine is in a box in my room. I got married in 1987. I never had it cleaned after the wedding and I took it out last year. It had some old dirt on the bottom. I soaked it in the washer with no agitation. I rinsed it and spun it for a minute. Took it out and put it on a dress form to drip dry. I kept it there for a few months because it looked so pretty. When we were selling the house I had to put it away because the real state agent felt that a wedding dress on the dress form looked creepy and would scare potential buyers. Little that he knew that what was scaring the customers was him.

ninas3kids 05-27-2010 06:30 AM

Mine has been hanging around since 1978-first 2 daughters didn't use it. Last daughter wants to have it remade into her veil and her daughter's flower girl dress. She was afraid I wouldn't want her to cut it up! Funny, since I am cutting up every piece of fabric I can get my hands on!!

sueisallaboutquilts 05-27-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
Mine is in a box in my room. I got married in 1987. I never had it cleaned after the wedding and I took it out last year. It had some old dirt on the bottom. I soaked it in the washer with no agitation. I rinsed it and spun it for a minute. Took it out and put it on a dress form to drip dry. I kept it there for a few months because it looked so pretty. When we were selling the house I had to put it away because the real state agent felt that a wedding dress on the dress form looked creepy and would scare potential buyers. Little that he knew that what was scaring the customers was him.

Thanks for the laugh of the day !!! :D
I have no idea where mine is- how bad is that. Since I have 3 sons I don't have to worry about it until I get sentimental and want to do something with it :)

ninas3kids 05-27-2010 06:34 AM

There is a woman in my area that takes your treasured clothes and makes teddy bears or other stuffed animals for you.

Boston1954 05-27-2010 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is in a plastice zippered container. This is what is looks like. We dressed up in the fashion of 1776. AND we got married in a barn.

mamaw 05-27-2010 06:47 AM

Lent it out and never got it back..ARRGH!!
My mom recently presented me with my christening outfit that was made from her wedding gown..what a treasure! An old treasure I should say lol.