Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecer? or Finisher? >

Piecer? or Finisher?

Piecer? or Finisher?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Piecing but the last three had dead lines for only lap size thought. Teacher, Soccer Coach , And Scout leader. Ofcouse
DMI quilt I can't get into.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 PM

I prefer the quilting over the piecing, but I'm having a difficult time getting my own quilts on the frame because I always put customer quilts ahead of my own.

However, I really hate the final touch of a finish - hand sewing the binding down!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Me Too!! I have about 13 to be Quilted
Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 PM

I love piecing and don't mind binding. If I could hook up with someone who likes to cut and someone who likes to quilt, we could turn out a lot of quilts. Perhaps that's the answer. :?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 AM

Yes, I'm the same. I love the thrill of firstly, thinking about the next project, then sorting through my stash for fabric, (or even buying some more, next cutting the shapes and finally sewing it all together. As I get near finishing the top I find I have a couple of ideas floating through my mind for the next project, so the one I'm working on just gets added to the UFO pile. Mind you, this week I am making myself finish a few things I've had hanging around for awhile, and, surprise, surprise, I'm actually enjoying it!!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:03 AM

Great replies - glad to know I'm not alone.

But shouldn't this be a WAKE UP CALL FOR MANUFACTURERS OF THE LONG ARM MACHINES?

IF they lowered their prices DRASTICALLY, I'm sure more of us piecers would buy their machines so we can become finishers!
Heck they could probably sell 50 machines right from this thread. I'm almost certain that there are a number of us who spent $1000 for our sewing machines alone - not counting how much we spend on fabric each year. But I can't/won't dish out $4000-$+ for a long arm. If I did hubby would have to buy his Harley! Ohhhhh..wait... that could be good though - he'd ride - I'd quilt!

Ok gotta get ready for work before I'm late!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 AM

i love to piece the blocks...and the rest, well it sits and waits until I need one done, or I want to do it. I belong to a club where I think I am the only one like this...they seem to do one thing at a time..finish it and move on. Me, I like little projects to see the finish product...but move slowly on the big ones. I always thought I was different, and now, I find out I'm NORMAL in this...thank-you.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 AM

I was told from day one to finish my quilts and attach a label. I have disciplined myself to do so. I keep a to do list and I don't strike it out until I have completed the quilt. The to do list helps to keep me motivated to finish my projects.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:12 AM

Hey! I must be the President of this club! :wink:
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 AM

I'm a finisher! I simple love the quilting and binding process. I can't pick great colors for a top but I can choose great quilting thread colors. I have ten tops of my own (I try to piece 1 a year)nothing really eye catching; I spend most of my time quilting for hire, which suits me! I love seeing what colors and patterns others have choosen. I love the challenge of quilting the right designs on them. See my ad in the for sale section of this board