Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police! >

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 PM

You handled it well, don't want to see one abused, but it's your to do with and enjoy. When I give one away their to be used... :)
Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

So true patchythe pirate!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by patchythepirate
I made a beautiful autumn leaves quilt for my aunt many years ago. It was all batik fabric with a swirling wind pattern in the quilting. I have never seen that quilt displayed in her home or used in any way. The last time I stayed the night in her guest room, I came across the quilt in a dresser drawer, just as perfect as the day I gave it to her. There was so much time, money, and effort put into that quilt. I would give anything to see her standing on it because at least she would be using it.
I know how you feel, but remember, she is saving it. I do not know what for, but she thinks it is wonderful and wants it to last forever. Do not be sad, just hope her kids will use it, should last 100 years after she is gone.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM

You should have laid down & started kicking & screaming. That would have totally freaked her out. I don't know how you kept from punching her lights out. I am laughing so hard I can hardly type. You could have told her "well excuse the hell out of me but this is my quilt & I'll do as I please." Seems like you got all the nuts this weekend.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Just reading thru all the comments. Basiclly she assaulted you when your touched your person & invaded your space. I have a bad habit if someone grabs me , I swing first & ask questions later. She would have been the one arrested not you. Don't you feel sorry for her poor husband. The man probably lives a life of misery & hell. My sister acts like this sometimes when she is off her meds. So you know what this lady's problem.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM

I admire you for your wit and control. We teach our kids to never put your hands on anyone. I guess she missed that. The nerve of someone to pass judgement on how you use your quilt. I agree, sad for her that she doesn't know that using a quilt is a sign of respect.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:37 AM

I'm waiting for a thread that starts'" I saw a woman this weekend, AND SHE WAS STANDING ON A QUILT'lol. Link it if you see it.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
She doesn't want to see my first quilt. The 100% cotton has disintegrated and the 50/50 poly-cotton fabric is still there. The quilt survived my daughter and 100s of washings. My dog now uses it.
mine too!!!!

I am equally impressed with your restraint. And your story helps me to try to feel differently about my creations than I did before. You see, I sometimes get lonely for the quilts I have sent out in the world. I hope they are used with respect and love ... but I miss them as I would miss my children. My avatar is one such quilt. I sent her out into the world and I have no idea where she is. Has she been washed? Has she been hugged? And I am lonely for her.
I will try not to get so sentimental ...
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 AM

Good for you. Nothing makes me happier than seeing one of my quilts loved to pieces. My very favorite has holes in it from use and I wouldn't take a million dollars for it.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Did you ever see the movie "How to Make an American Quilt"? They got the thing all finished and gave it to the young woman and she had it wrapped around herself and walked down the dirt driveway with it dragging on the ground. I wanted to crawl right into the television.