Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two Tips >

Two Tips

Two Tips

Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM

This is a great tip since I drive back and forth to AZ in the fall and again in Spring. NOW my problem is how do I find a "to go" project that I can keep in the car and pick up on. I do hand quilt sometimes and I applique. Just can't decide what I can do that I won't forget where I am on it. Sorry, I'm old. Suggestions?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:13 AM

I keep a carpenters square in my sewing room. Great for straightening fabric and used regularly for a lot of things. Yes, it is good for using with a rotary cutter. One item I would not be without. I also have a straight long metal ruler that is 54 inches long which works great with the decorator fabric. Real handy.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
This is a great tip since I drive back and forth to AZ in the fall and again in Spring. NOW my problem is how do I find a "to go" project that I can keep in the car and pick up on. I do hand quilt sometimes and I applique. Just can't decide what I can do that I won't forget where I am on it. Sorry, I'm old. Suggestions?
That's OK, Honey, there are a lot of us floatin' in that same boat. Choose a fancy pin or something you can use as a marker and pin it wherever you stop. Then you can just take off from there when you get back to it. All you have to remember is what the pin is for.

When I'm following directions, I keep a pencil handy and if I'm interrupted, I just put a little check mark to mark my place. Then I find the mark when I get back to it. As a first grade teacher I had to learn all kinds of tricks and that was one of my most used. Even when I crochet, I keep the old pencil handy.

And---you're not old, just seasoned. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks so much. What a lift to my day!! Not old, just seasoned!! Well seasoned I might add!! Thanks again for the tip about the pencil I will use it.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pati- in Phx

You can also brush on clear nail polish and sprinkle it with salt before it dries. The salt acts as "grips" too. and it is easy to redo.
I've done that. The salted nail polish chipped off and took the markings on the ruler with it.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM

I would think that the Grandmother's Garden (English Paper Piecing) would have small enough components to finish as many as you have time to. It's next on my travel project list.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Yo-yo's are good for quick and easy on the go projects. I just keep a bag in the car with a bunch of pre-cut circles, needles, and thread. (Easy if you cut some from your scraps when you're cleaning up after a finished project) There's no marking and no keeping up with where you left off involved. :D

The best part is, I end up with tons of yo-yos. If I need a quick gift, I can grab some and whip up something quick. And using modern color schemes gives new life to this "old lady" style that even the young generation loves!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM

I may have just sent a bit -- accidental, sorry.
Most T-squares have a bit of a lip on the 'T', where it attaches to the long part. This lip catches the edge of your drawing table, or cutting mat, keeping it perpendicular to the edge.
Usually this type of 'T-square' comes from an art supply store and is used for technical drawing, engineers or architects. They are often wood-ish with plastic edges on the long part and the 'T' ion mine is black.
Mary
Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 PM

I have a metal L ruler that I "borrowed" from my mom. I was at a friends house and her hubby is a plumber and he had one of these rulers where we were going to sew and I grabbed it to square up and cut fabric and it worked beautiful. was at my moms and saw hers and had to borrow it. I have already used it a dozen times. when I am cutting a lot of stuff it works great for long lines of fabric. mostly because it is really heavy and holds the fabric really well.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM

I put my small scissors on a long peice of elastic around my neck. That way I can cut threats and never have to look for my scissors.