Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 AM

Yes, when I went into our local WalMart last week that is what I found and it was not impressive so I have been writing to the home office and local store. Doubt that it will do any good. I could not even find a spool of black thread. The thread display only had a few spools like they were getting rid of that too. What a disappointment as we have to drive over 50 miles one way to the closest fabric center. Guess online will get my business.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 AM

When Mr Walton (Mr Walmart) died and the "kids" took over, customer service went out the door. American made went with Mr Walton. Employees say it is a "sweat shop" envirement to work in. Anything you pick up says "made in china". Our local store does not have fabrics and we have to drive 1 1/2 hours to the closest LQS. I rarely go into Walnart anymore. If I have to pay a few cents more for something it is worth it to me to make a statement.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 AM

When I came home yesterday there was a phone message from someone at my local Walmart, no doubt in response to my email. Sorry that I missed that call but the caller said she would try again. I hope so.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 AM
JS

I can understand what Claire Voyant Quilter is saying but, it goes beyond the LQS. From the last time this subject was brought up by the board we have found many,many people rely on Wal-Mart because of the prices and also many areas of the country where our board members live only have or had Wal-Mart to shop for material. They have no local quilt stores in their area or can not afford the local quilt store prices. So, in that sense it is quite a shame. I too like to patronize when posible our local stores. But, sometimes it is not that cut and dry.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 AM

Small town that I live in has only a Wally Mart..no other stores...we still have fabric bolts..but it keeps shrinking..I was so upset when they took away the DMC embroidery threads..now I have to order on line to get them. Such a shame. But the on line stores should profit from Wally's decision.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
kso

Originally Posted by joyceelaine1951
That's the exact same letter that I got too. I asked why they guys could still have their automotive dept but us gals couldn't even buy a spool of thread. It's not fair.Take out some of the cd's ,movies etc. That would give them the floor space.

The new supercenter is NOT going to have an automotive service center either.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by kso
We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.
...and I'm thrilled that WalMart is encouraging the massacre of even more trees, filling streams and rivers with even more pollution (have you seen the colors of some of those paper and plastic goods? The dye residue must be horrendous) and clogging landfills for the next 800 years or so with plastic cups.

Shame on us for wanting to make something which is beautiful, will be functional for many years, and ultimately, for the most part, biodegradable.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Hmmm, did you consider answering them saying something like 'oh that's too bad cuz now I'll have to buy my notions and crafts where I buy my fabric'?

Why make trips to more than one store when we want to economize cuz of gas prices etc.?

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 07-30-2010, 11:13 AM

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. Did they poll all of the quilters? I bet not. Because from where I sit I see a lot of disappointed people who sew and quilt. Wonder where they got their numbers. Hum, think about it.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 AM

that's the one I got too. LOL