Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies? >

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 AM

I do some canning & freezing; we have a limited garden, tomaotes, zuchini, squash, cucs, peas peppers, In the last two weeks I've baked 24 loaves of zuchini bread, my husband would come home and say 'again?!" or would come in from the garden and say there's a zuchini out there that should be picked pretty soon... No ! I'm percolating that one for bread! He laughs every time! When I'm not doing ours, I'm making the rounds of the neighborhood picking fruit off their trees; It embarrasses my husband when I knock on someone's door and ask if their going to do anything with their peaches, pears, apricots,plums or apples, not me I go home & come back with a ladder & a laundry basket. Free is GOOD. In my neighborhood they don't understand what a bounty they have. alway s offer some of the processed fruit to them for their generosity, but really mostly they just let it rot on the ground.
My motto is: 'what would the pioneers do?' I believe they would pick it & process it.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 AM

This quilter cans! Looking at those filled jars reminds me of looking at a just-finished quilt! I love it. You'll have to share some recipes in the "Recipe" section!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I do some canning & freezing; we have a limited garden, tomaotes, zuchini, squash, cucs, peas peppers, In the last two weeks I've baked 24 loaves of zuchini bread, my husband would come home and say 'again?!" or would come in from the garden and say there's a zuchini out there that should be picked pretty soon... No ! I'm percolating that one for bread! He laughs every time! When I'm not doing ours, I'm making the rounds of the neighborhood picking fruit off their trees; It embarrasses my husband when I knock on someone's door and ask if their going to do anything with their peaches, pears, apricots,plums or apples, not me I go home & come back with a ladder & a laundry basket. Free is GOOD. In my neighborhood they don't understand what a bounty they have. always offer some of the processed fruit to them for their generosity, but really mostly they just let it rot on the ground.
My motto is: 'what would the pioneers do?' I believe they would pick it & process it.
I second that! I hate seeing neglected fruit trees, knowing that fruit will be wasted. Not even the birds benefit from most of it.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM

I know people also, who have fruit trees, but just aren't interested in eating the fruit. I always ask them to please let me know and I will come and pick some and can them and give them some. I don't have room for fruit trees and I just hate to have fresh fruit go to waste when I have to buy them to can them. I do go to "pick-yourself" places when I can.
Verna in So Cal
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM

I am just starting to get into it! My mom always canned when we were younger. This is my 2nd year for our garden. I made some basil jelly and pepper jelly. Have a lot of tomatoes I might have to chop up and make some salsa! We had corn, pumpkins, butternut squash, peppers, and herbs.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM

Oh we added some fruit trees, so next year we will have fruit!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by madamekelly
I don't can, but I do Dehydrate veggies and make my own soup mixes with it. I have no storage for home canned items, although I remember fondly opening the plums my grandmother canned. She served them almost daily, with homemade bread, toasted. Yummmmm!
After you dehydrate your veggies, how do you store them? We have a very expensive dehydrater I need to use more often. I dried bell peppers, but not long enough bc they moldy.
I dehydrate the veggies and put them in zip lock bags, in the freezer, just in case I did not get all of the moisture out. The door of my freezer can hold literally tons of veggies. P.S. I do not put the carrots or potatoes in the soup mix, because they take longer to cook to soft. Some veggies disappear into the stock, cauliflower for example.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 PM

That's what I do too. Wonder if it was necessary. One time I got wevils in my dried fruit so from then on I put it in the freezer.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
If things mold, they haven't been dried long enough. I store my dehydrated onions on the cabinet shelf. They keep for a year that way. That's the only thing I dehydrate, as onions don't keep very long. I can use them in soups, casseroles, etc. this way.
When you dehydrate the onions, does it make your house smell like onions? I usually freeze onions.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM

I am a canner. My husband likes to plant a big garden and then I get to can. I made tomato juice and canned tomatoes pickled cukes and made jelly. I also froze some of the stuff that I could not can. I love it. Praise God we can do that. Maria