Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PERFECT 1" Squares  :) >

PERFECT 1" Squares :)

PERFECT 1" Squares :)

Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
A quilter's mind is always workin...
How man of us use medical tools in quilting?
I know some use the scalpel like seam ripper, but for me the rotary cutter is the scalpel on a wheel so I don't need the smaller version...
I do use curved hemostats - the "mosquito" size and the suture sissors when I'm on the road. Haven't found a use for the hypodermic yet...maybe if I need to apply a really tiny (thin) bead of glue sometime.

:-P
Oh, I use a hypodermic needle to oil my machine. Got it at the feed store.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 AM

"Unfortunately DD is showing signs of gallbladder problems (sees GI tom.) so now I have a dilemma about whether to send out the cookies, candy 'fried oysters', caramels and fudge. DSIL would certainly appreciate them...what to do, what to do... ""

Being the kind and caring person that I am, I am sending you my mailing address in PM so that you will be able to send out the goodies guilt-free. My gallbladder was removed years ago so no problems here.
And it really would be cruel to let DSIL eat in front of poor suffering DD. Hugs and smilesssss........
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 AM

Thank you for the laugh...with DD sick and out of town, my MIL in hospital with congestive heart failure and my mother in assisted living this year now for dementia...well, thank you again for the laugh! :-)
Originally Posted by wildyard
"Unfortunately DD is showing signs of gallbladder problems (sees GI tom.) so now I have a dilemma about whether to send out the cookies, candy 'fried oysters', caramels and fudge. DSIL would certainly appreciate them...what to do, what to do... ""

Being the kind and caring person that I am, I am sending you my mailing address in PM so that you will be able to send out the goodies guilt-free. My gallbladder was removed years ago so no problems here.
And it really would be cruel to let DSIL eat in front of poor suffering DD. Hugs and smilesssss........
Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 AM

Okay. By popular demand, here is my fudge recipe :) I like it because I only have to make one batch, and it always turns out!

"LAURIE'S FAMOUS FUDGE"

3 6oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 pound butter (no subs)
10oz pkg of miniature marshmellows
5 cups sugar
1 12oz can evaporated milk
1 Tblsp vanilla
2 cups chopped nuts, if desired

Line a large jelly roll baking sheet- 12" x 15"- with foil, parchment paper or waxed paper. Butter well.

Place the chocolate chips, marshmellows and nuts in a large bowl.

Heat butter, sugar and milk over medium heat until it comes to a roiling boil. Boil exactly for 6 minutes. Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate/marshmellow mix in bowl, and stir vigorously until well blended. Stir in vanilla.

Pour into prepared pan and allow to cool/set. Remove from pan and slice into PERFECT 1" SQUARES, using a pizza wheel and ruler!

Makes 5 pounds
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
A quilter's mind is always workin...
How man of us use medical tools in quilting?
I know some use the scalpel like seam ripper, but for me the rotary cutter is the scalpel on a wheel so I don't need the smaller version...
I do use curved hemostats - the "mosquito" size and the suture sissors when I'm on the road. Haven't found a use for the hypodermic yet...maybe if I need to apply a really tiny (thin) bead of glue sometime.

Never thought of that! That would work!
:-P
Oh, I use a hypodermic needle to oil my machine. Got it at the feed store.
:D
Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by olmphoto2

Unfortunately DD is showing signs of gallbladder problems (sees GI tom.) so now I have a dilemma about whether to send out the cookies, candy 'fried oysters', caramels and fudge. DSIL would certainly appreciate them...what to do, what to do... :-(
Send them and advise her to freeze a portion for her to have when she's all better.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Thank you GailG, great idea!
Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by olmphoto2

Unfortunately DD is showing signs of gallbladder problems (sees GI tom.) so now I have a dilemma about whether to send out the cookies, candy 'fried oysters', caramels and fudge. DSIL would certainly appreciate them...what to do, what to do... :-(
Send them and advise her to freeze a portion for her to have when she's all better.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Sew Smart. Thanx for the tip
Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by kat13
Great idea but I can never get the darned stuff out of the pan in one big block...is there a trick to that?
If you line your pan with foil, the fudge will come out nice and clean - turned upside down. Just finished several pans of fudge for a party and this worked well.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:31 PM

I was watching a food show the said use a pizza cutter for brownies while still hot. Works great