Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts from a lost loved one. >

quilts from a lost loved one.

quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

So very sorry for your loss. Do not get rid of the quilts you made for your Mom. There will come a day that you can look at them and laugh, cry and hug them just to feel closer to her. Your pain is much too fresh to make any decisions at this time. When my Mom passed all I wanted to do was get rid of anything that caused me such pain. I wish I held on to some more of her stuff now that the years have gone by. Bless you!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM

My Mother passed away after a really long illness and we had talked about where she wanted a lot of her stuff to go, but after Step Father got over her death(a month) he brought me almost evrything I had ever given and or a=made for either of them. My advise, keep it for now if it is too painful put it all away and then revisit it in a year! Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 PM

DON"T store your quilts in a cedar chest! Cedar wood oozes oil which stains quilts. Wrap your quilts in old, soft sheets and pack in an acid-free box to ensure that the cotton does not deteriorate over time. Or, wrap a piece of PVC pipe in a sheet and roll the quilts around the pipe and either hang it from the ceiling (out of the way) or stand in a corner out of the way. Good luck in being able to enjoy the quilts later; it's just too soon for you right now.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Store them for now - don't get rid of them! You may regret it down the road if a stranger is using something that was made just for your Mom. Maybe someday you'll want to piece them into quilts for grandkids, other relatives, etc. I saved some of Mom's blouses (died 1 yr ago) & am planning to make wall hangings or throws for each of my siblings with the fabric from those blouses. They evoke fond memories - your Mom's quilts can do the same.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM

I made a quilt for my grandmother's 90th birthday. When she passed away 19 months later, my aunt gave me back the quilt. I treasure it. When I pull it over me, I know she was the last one to use it and that brings me comfort. And I also remember how much my beloved grandmother liked my gift.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Yes, I got my Dad's back that
I made for him in 1978.
He would not let anyone but
me wash/dry it for him.
J J
Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
After my MIL passed, I was eventually given all the counted cross stitch and other personal gifts I had made for her, as well as many of the items she had made. Some I felt like my FIL could/should have kept as he returned the ones I had made for him as well. Initially I was sort of offended and felt like it was mostly because he was getting ready to remarry and 'she' was behind it all. Now 14 years later we have recently been going thru all their stuff as they are now in assisted living, and I realize that it comes down to a choice of giving it to Goodwill, having an estate sale or keeping it in the family. I do like the idea of keeping what various family members want/can use in the family. But, yes, it can be too soon, and I would advise you to put them away until you are farther along in the grieving process. I know I did not want to move into my mom's house, even though it had more bedrooms, for about a year after she passed on and even then I took awhile making it mine instead of hers.
I agree. My Mom is also in assisted living; my Dad passed away early this year and I have a closet full and a wall in our basement of her and my Dad's personal item's . It's a hard thing to do. So many of there memories are there. I packed them away and someday my brother and I will go through them.....can't do it till Mom is gone. I like to think that they saved these things so we can remminise about there lives. Do you know what I mean? Maybe I'm just rambling. LOL Anyway I think that time is what you need. Take care.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM

You should hold on to them. Don't give them away. you need time. I'm sure you will be very happy you didn't hand them over to someone. Just pack them away till the time is right
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RST
I think you should hold on to them for a time, and make your decision later. Do you have children or other family who might want them down the road?

I'm sorry for you loss. Be kind to yourself.

RST
I totally agree with RST. I lost my husb. 2 1/2 yrs. ago & during that time I just could not think straight. I was giving things away so much (his & mine) that my sons were concerned about me.
I'd suggest you just put them away for awhile til your grief settles down. I don't mean til grief goes away since it will always stay with you but it will be easier to live with.
I feel you may come to cherish those quilts in the future. Your sister may even want some of them by then.
My heart goes out to your family. I lost my mother 2 wks. before losing my husb.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Yes, I made my mother a quilt with cross stitched state flowers
on it and I wanted it because there was so much work in it.