Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block of the Month-am I being unreasonable? >

Block of the Month-am I being unreasonable?

Block of the Month-am I being unreasonable?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM

I think that they should give you your money back.
They did not give you a choice in the substitute or even let you know that they were doing it.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:46 PM

You should always get what you pay for, and if that option is changed the best method is to re- negotiate the changes with you-not impose them on you. I think a new discussion would be in order.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Since this is your LQS I would demand some type of correction. I know the BOM kits are expensive and for you to have gotten the wrong fabric I would not be put off. Since they made the mistake they should be willing to find additional fabric to make you happy and give you the new fabric. :mrgreen:
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

I would complain too. They should have been up front with you when they realized they had a problem and given you a choice. I'm kind of weird...when I buy a pattern I usually want to buy fabric very similar because I don't have the vision to see it differently. I would be very disappointed if I had spent that much money and they changed it on me because it's not the way it was represented...not to mention all the work you have put into it.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM

i agree with the above comments, and if the quilt is not done yet i would ask for my choice in the color substitute for the materialthat should of been, if the quilt is done i would ask for a % off of the money used for the material in the quilt that you didnt like !!
what is this , ive noticed some quilters are giving quilting a bad rap lately like the quilters that are in business to do quilting for people and they do a horrible or unsatisfactory job??
Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM

I have had fabric substituted but I was told about it. You can print out this thread and take it to the LQS and see if that makes a difference. You can also explain that (if you belong to a guild, club, church group, etc...)that you will be bring this problem up so that others will be forewarned to double check any kit they receive in the future before paying for it. YOu can also remind her that you can do BOMS from online vendors and that you don't have to do business with that shop. That's hardball I know but if you are really upset then...

On the other hand, I found out two things recently which makes me wonder how in the world, LQS can even do BOMs anymore. One thing I found out is that the middlemen that the LQS order from hold onto their orders and do not place them with the fabric companies until they have enough orders to make it worth their while. By that time, the fabric is gone because the second thing I learned is that smaller LQS may order a whole fabric line but they only receive a few bolts of a few fabrics regardless of what they order because of competition from places like Keepsake Quilting. If this makes a difference, then maybe, you can talk to the owner about this and still come to some mutually agreeable solution. Good luck and sorry this happened to you.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 PM

I would think they at least owe you a choice of fabric.

What really bothers me is that when you mentioned it, they were not up front with you on the switch. Not until you realized the problem were they up front about it.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM

I like to get what I pay for. I would be annoyed, too. Yes, I agree with the others that the store should have advised you of the substitution, and should have given you the opportunity to make your own choice.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 PM

I had a similar problem with a purse pattern I purchased on line, from a site we all go to!! The picture of the purse pattern on line was what interested me........so when I recieved it........that pattern as pictured was something that was NOT in the pattern envelope. I wrote about it an was told I could go to a certain site on line to get the "original" pattern as seen on the ad... however, If I wanted I could order it for $2.50 plus shipping. I am a very visual person, so would have liked the pattern as I saw it....... sorta the same as the lady above who had viewed the quilt in the LQS.. I hope she gets a better answer than I got......
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

:-( You did the right thing in saying something to them. When you purchase something you want it to be what you thought it was, not what they think they can get away with. The very least they could have done was tell you the problem and let you figure out if you wanted it or not. PegD :) love your avatar what is the pattern? Was it a challenge to do? Would like to make one myself. Thanks