Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 AM

SQ
I believe you read something I didn't write. I actually asked a question: "why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on?" I then told about my method of storage and mentioned that it was free. Free is good!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by shequilts
I keep hearing about the boards used to fold and store fabric, and from what I hear, they're not cheap. Why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on? I've used this for years and never spent a dime on a "board". They're free anywhere that sells fabric. I have closet shelves in my walk-in closet. They're three deep on the back wall and two sides. I have over 400 "bolts" stacked on end in this closet. I sort by color family and can easily "shop" for what I need. My only investment was for the shelves. The cardboards are replaceable for free.
I attached a couple of pics to clarify what I mean.
To be honest this is sort of an insult. To tell someone a product they use is unnecessary just because you don't use it is kind of insulting. Just because you don't use it, need it or want it doesn't mean nobody else should use it, need it or want it.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 AM

You implied that it was somehow wrong to spend money on boards to store fabric when you can use something free and how that's unnecessary. It may not be what you intended but when you look down your nose at something somebody uses it is insulting.

SQ
I believe you read something I didn't write. I actually asked a question: "why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on?" I then told about my method of storage and mentioned that it was free. Free is good!

I keep hearing about the boards used to fold and store fabric, and from what I hear, they're not cheap. Why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on? I've used this for years and never spent a dime on a "board". They're free anywhere that sells fabric. I have closet shelves in my walk-in closet. They're three deep on the back wall and two sides. I have over 400 "bolts" stacked on end in this closet. I sort by color family and can easily "shop" for what I need. My only investment was for the shelves. The cardboards are replaceable for free.
To be honest this is sort of an insult. To tell someone a product they use is unnecessary just because you don't use it is kind of insulting. Just because you don't use it, need it or want it doesn't mean nobody else should use it, need it or want it.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 AM

wow, is what I say to that! I know if I had that kind of organization, and that much fabric, I would be one of those women that would look in the closet and not find what I want...just like I look in my clothes closet and can't find anything to wear even though I have soooo many clothes.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 AM

Our Hobby Lobby store will give away the cardboards. One clerk said it saved her from making one less trip to the trash can. Daleen
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM

SQ
'Sorry you find my hint to be so insulting. It really has nothing to do with you. If you will scroll through the dozens of posts, you'll see most people think it a good idea.

You implied that it was somehow wrong to spend money on boards to store fabric when you can use something free and how that's unnecessary. It may not be what you intended but when you look down your nose at something somebody uses it is insulting.

SQ

Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 AM

My local Marden's here in Maine used to give them to me as well. The last time I asked they said that the manufactures want them back now so they can wrap new fabric on them to save money. Too bad they don't pass that savings on to us.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM

We all know regular corrugated boxes are NOT acid free but they make good boards on which to store fabric. I'm wondering if a good coat of spray paint would protect fabric from acid? I know you're not supposed to store fabric on unpainted wood. I know from experience that old boxes are not a good thing to store clothes/quilts in - ask me how I know.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
The cardboards are NOT acid free. The cardboard will eventually leech onto fabric and discolor it. They use these at fabric stores because they have a good turnaround for fabric.

Fabric boards ARE acid free, and thinner. They will hold more fabric in less space.
I agree! Penny wise, pound foolish! It will ruin your fabric in the long run.

I cannot even imagine having that much fabric. Limited income prevents anyway!

Originally Posted by debbieoh
Only way joanne and walmart will give the boards is if you buy large amount of yardage of i fabric. at least around here
Same here. When I bought what was on the bolt, they asked if I wanted it back on the bolt. I replied, that would be wonderful, if she had time. She put it on the bolt quickly.