Embroidery Machines

Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kjdavis4
I have a Bernina artista 640 and I love it. Embroiders very well and was not difficult to learn. If you are new to embroidery you may want to buy a machine from a dealer who provides support and classes. That can really make a difference.
Me too. I love it. I also have a fantastic dealer who makes sure we know how to use it. Not quite as fancy as the 830 but a great machine and not as expensive!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 PM

I got my Janome 11000 when I was 67 and am not sorry.....I have to force myself to quit sewing!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM

I am 70 yrs old. Please don't use your age as a reason to not do something. We are supposed to live until we die! Live within your means, of course. But don't unnecessarily deprive yourself just because you think you are too old. at our age I think we enjoy many things more than the "youngsters" because we have learned so much! Make your purchase to meet your needs and satisfy youself and ENJOY!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM

I have a brother 1500. I enjoy embroidering but don't get to do enough of it
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by char in MI
I went to a trunk show featuring Out of Africa. The embroidery designs were incredible. I'm sure I was the only one there who did not own an embroidery machine. I would like to know how many people have emb. machines, what kind and how much you really use them. Of course I fell iin love with the Bernina 830 but since it is $10,000 and I am 65 yr old, I am wondering how much I would use it to make the investment worthwhile. Several ladies (not young) have multiple emb machines plus sewing machines. What appreciate your input. thanks.
I have a Bernina 180E upgraded to 185E and a DECO600 and I use it a lot. I make many Christmas and Birthday presents. Last Christmas I made many lace candle rings as gifts. I am also 66 years old. I still have the Bernina 180 embroidery unit which I don't use now.The Bernina 830 is a dream but I feel like you am to old to invested. Also I embroider a lot of baby quilts.

embroidered baby quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122093[/ATTACH]

lace candle ring and wrap
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122094[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122088.jpe   attachment-122089.jpe  
Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM

I have the Brother Quattro. I really wanted a Berdina but could't afford the 830. The Quattro is 1/2 the price, has the same features and is very user friendly. I use it alot and am looking forward to incorporating embroidery into my quilts. Haven't tried that yet.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by char in MI
I went to a trunk show featuring Out of Africa. The embroidery designs were incredible. I'm sure I was the only one there who did not own an embroidery machine. I would like to know how many people have emb. machines, what kind and how much you really use them. Of course I fell iin love with the Bernina 830 but since it is $10,000 and I am 65 yr old, I am wondering how much I would use it to make the investment worthwhile. Several ladies (not young) have multiple emb machines plus sewing machines. What appreciate your input. thanks.
I have 2 Pfaff 7570's, 2 Babylock Ellageo's, and a babylock 6 thread. Love them all and use them daily along with quilting daily. I too am 65 and retired from dressmaking so it is time to have fun. Wow, my 6 thread didn't cost that much!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I have an inexpensive Brother I love it!!

Love mine as well, got it for an Xmas present and its great !! I have done many designs already on different outfits I have made for the grands !
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Had a kenmore sewing machine when I thought I would like to try machine embroidery. Looked at a used brother 8500 and had a half hour lesson from seller. Decided I loved it and after a year bought a Tajima 15 needle and never looked back. Liked a lot of colors in my designs and disliked changing the thread all the time. Love the tajima. Have since upgraded my sewing machine to a Janome 6600P a year ago and am trying to quilt. On the embroidery side if I was buying again I would not spend the big $ on the software (pulse) but would go with Embird it will allow you to use the formats that most embroidery machines use and does a lot. Am not that much younger then you. Like to stay busy enjoy my toys.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Be very careful that what you buy does not have out - dated technology. I bought a very expensive Pfaff that had an embroidery system that never properly worked - the support was patchy and now not supported.I can't get the drivers to operate the equipment. I will have to pay another $3,000.00 for a connector and updated program in order to have it working and there are no guarantees that I will not have the same trouble.I am reluctant to do this - so they've lost a customer who was once loyal.