Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
OMG - What is with the Post Office lately >

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM

I know they are having cut backs because increase to First Class Mail was rejected by Congress. But can't they all work by the same rules. Apparently they are cutting back on overtime. So the PO I go to, has a substitute Mail Person filling in at least 1 or 2 times a week. They never seem to play by the same rules

I went to mail a couple of books to Australia. They paid thru Paypal, and for once I didn't have that much trouble printing out a shipping/customs label thru Paypal/Pitney Bowes.

I mailed something to Istanbul Turkey last week, which after 2 separate attempts ($13.00 in postage each- to be refunded) and a call to Paypal - wouldn't let me print up the label. So I had to manually fill out a customs form and a shipping label at the PO.

Anyway,although I can't find anywhere where it says it - I was told that Flat Rate Envelopes, couldn't be taped closed, more than 3/4" wide or reinforced in any way - 2 wks ago. I also haven't seen any Flat Rate Ads on tv - which could be because Christmas is over - but to get back to my tale of woo

So I printed out my address & customs label - and went to the post office to mail it. I got the sub mailman today. Who told me that the one sheet customs form/label that I have used hundreds of times to mail internationally - now needed to be 4 copies and had to put in an envelope - Although the bottom says in clear ENGLISH -- cut and tape to package.

I am getting too old for this - I don't mind playing by the rules, put gosh darn it, don't keep changing them mid game - I am beginning to hate the PO - I swear - I am not going to be served by another sub PO - ever again.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

What a pain! We still have flat rate box ads, but they don't mention the envelopes anymore.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM

I just got finished PM'ing a friend of mine because a package(priority envelope) has not arrived. It's been clos to 4 weeks!! I thought at least it would come back to me. And no...stupidly I didn't get a DC. stupid stupid stuoid I'll never do that again!
David
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM

They act a little snippy about extra tape on the boxes. so I get around that easily. I simply GLUE the bottom box lids together, then when closing it I put in a layer of plastic wrap (if I haven't already put the contents in a plastic bag) and then put dabs of Elmer's Glue on the top and put a heavy weight on it till dry. No way will that box come apart short of being sliced open!!
Of course I ALWAYS put wide plastic over the label, and an extra label taped to the inside contents.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM

When you print a Priority shipping label on USPS.com the Delivery Confirmation is free. Also, there is a box to check that will have them send you an e-mail with the date & time when the package is delivered. When you print a scan sheet, it is scanned from when the package is picked up at your door. I have not had a Priority package go missing since I started doing the scan sheets.

Originally Posted by davidwent
I just got finished PM'ing a friend of mine because a package(priority envelope) has not arrived. It's been clos to 4 weeks!! I thought at least it would come back to me. And no...stupidly I didn't get a DC. stupid stupid stuoid I'll never do that again!
David
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM

I've been using the flat rate envelopes like I always have... stuffed and blulging to where I can't put anything else in it... and I haven't been refused lately. I put tape on all the seams, the flap, and reinforce the bottom too. They do not want tape over the bar code on the shipping label, but as far as I know that's the only place you can't put tape.

That being said... I did have one substitute clerk tell me about a year ago that I couldn't put tape anywhere on the flate rate envelopes so I politely said "thanks, I'll wait for the next clerk." The next clerk didn't blink an eye, he just scanned my packages and gave me a receipt.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM

No problems here at all!! Knock on wood! Custom forms have changed and which one you use depends on the size/weight of package. I do everything by internet, except for international orders. Saves time in the long run for me to do that at the PO.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:03 AM

We have a small USPS here and she is the one who tapes it so it wont' get damaged in the mail. I mailed some yesterday and no problems. But I have heard, even when your PO accepts it, other PO's can return it for postage. Grrrrrrrr
You can get online at USPS.com and order the new flat rate 4.95 envelopes that have strong tape and are like those bubbly ones and they close better. Who knows. ONe day it's this way and the next not.... You have to tape the boxes that are large flats since they have no sticky. They are silly. I do love the medium tall flat rates with the sticky on each end. Those really work well, no tape needed there. Have you ever tried to open those? Really tough.
Like everything else, if we want to use their services, we gotta play by the rules. YOu can go onto USPS.com and find those too. Make a copy and take it with you.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I love the idea of making a copy of the rules and taking with. I wonder if there happens to be a post master present if that would help. I know this isn't possible in all cases.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

There is always one in every bunch that has to give me crap about my packages. I live 15 minutes from 3 towns... So I go to the one that is the nicest. My biggest problem is they are closed for lunch 12:30-1:30 every day in Michigan :-)