Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Besides the fabric stash...what do quilters collect the most? >

Besides the fabric stash...what do quilters collect the most?

Besides the fabric stash...what do quilters collect the most?

Old 03-20-2021, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
he seems to have decided he doesnt' want to re carpet that badly lol
😄 Almost the same situation, here!

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
From a great aunt I was gifted several antique thimbles; and have also been given some old small scissors and shears and buttons!
How nice! I would love to have some of my dad's tools or my grandmother's sewing & cooking tools.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:26 AM

buttons....I seldom use them....but I have inherited jars of buttons. when I as a child, I remember helping my grandmother turn old clothing and fabric items into "strips" for rag rugs. We would remove the seams and buttons. The like button sets would be sewn together with needle and thread and placed in the button jar. The fabric strips would be sewn together on grandma's treadle and my job was to roll them into balls to be taken to the weaver who made them into scatter rugs.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:02 AM

I have lots of quilting books and magazines. (And I also have lots and lots of non quilting books and magazines.) I do need to downsize but don't like parting with any of them. I have way more patterns on my "want-to-do" list than I will ever have time to make, even if I live to be 1000.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
buttons....I seldom use them....but I have inherited jars of buttons. when I as a child, I remember helping my grandmother turn old clothing and fabric items into "strips" for rag rugs. We would remove the seams and buttons. The like button sets would be sewn together with needle and thread and placed in the button jar. The fabric strips would be sewn together on grandma's treadle and my job was to roll them into balls to be taken to the weaver who made them into scatter rugs.
What a sweet memory!
Old 01-18-2022, 01:28 AM

I have lots of pattern books, magazines, patterns copied from internet, lots and lots of thread, rulers and other gadget I am trying to get a hold on my buying. Fabric which I just put all on boards which takes up more room.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:19 AM

I have a collection of wooden spools, old scissors, old buttons and old spools of thread.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:10 AM

I see the question is from 2011 so you have solved the answer to your question by now.

Fast forward to 2022. As for me, I've collected digital quilt patterns found online, that can be downloaded and put in a folder for my bucket list of quilts I hope to make. Most of the quilt patterns are free from the fabric websites and blogs.

The other quilting item I have collected the most of that can be true back in 2011 to now is : Scissors. I have a collection of scissors: A pair for Paper cutting, Fabric only, Small ones called snips for cutting threads, a pair with Springs for clipping rag quilts, Fancy scissors with decorative handles to admire and use,(angel, bunny ) Pinking shears , Applique scissors to trim stabilizer that cuts in tight spaces around the shapes. I also have extra scissors kept in my Sewing tote bag I take to Sew days. I have a drawer with scissors of various sizes handed down to me from my mother's sewing days. I have too many to count!
Old 01-18-2022, 04:33 AM

Copycat
“The other quilting item I have collected the most of that can be true back in 2011 to now is : Scissors.“

i hear you. Between scissors and rotary cutters!! Boy howdy. My sis and i seem to have inherited the same quality as we recently shared photos of how many we have! I think for me is more a question of still searching for the one that I really love. I do keep going back to my Ginghers that i got for Mothers Day one year (I left out an ad and a coupon!) and the WISS i bought for myself in 1979.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:37 AM

Rulers, both quilting rulers, and cutting rulers - seems I'm always adding to them
Bobbins, have over 150 - I have 50 wound of the thread color before starting a quilt
Fabric - have a good stash, but only for planned quilts
Fabric - have a smaller stash for small projects
Thread - use three basic colors - Antique (ecru like shade), Black, Prussia blue but have a good stash of large cones of each
other notions - good supply of rotary blades, multi scissors, seam rippers, one handed snippers, awls, and other notions
Block Pattern books, and other pattern books

I'm pretty much always adding to the above as I use them/need them
Old 01-18-2022, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
Copycat
“The other quilting item I have collected the most of that can be true back in 2011 to now is : Scissors.“

i hear you. Between scissors and rotary cutters!! Boy howdy. My sis and i seem to have inherited the same quality as we recently shared photos of how many we have! I think for me is more a question of still searching for the one that I really love. I do keep going back to my Ginghers that i got for Mothers Day one year (I left out an ad and a coupon!) and the WISS i bought for myself in 1979.
I counted up how many I have in my house and quit at about 30. And I am just one person, living alone. I do have one small pair that I use for hand work that I have had for 40+ years and I panic if I can't find them.