Pre-load credit cards?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM

I don't know if I even have the name right for these. What I want to do: have a card (Visa, Master Card?) that I purchase and 'load' with dollars ahead of time. That way, I can use it as if it were a regular credit card but it's money I've already allotted...so then there wouldn't be any bills, interest due or even monthly fees, I would hope.

Does anyone have experience with these? I don't know about terms, any purchase price other than the dollars I add, what to look out for, fees, do they expire, etc. I would presume that they have to have an expiration date listed as businesses require that information when processing a credit card purchase. But would I actually lose any dollars left on the card after that date?

Any suggestions on what to purchase and where?

You can see that I'm completely naive about these things!

Any comments or help along these lines would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I have used them. You can get them at banks...mine cost 3.00....its a small bank, so I dont know if all banks do this. Walgreens used to do them too!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM

1) Green Dot Card - Fees are involved for purchase and usage. Can get them at Kmart or Walmart - read the fine print and rules.

2) Get a paypal account and ask for their debit card, no monthly fee, but there might be a fee if you use as a debit, there isn't a fee if you sign for your purchase. You can load them from your own checking account or have money sent from different sources. (friends family :P )
Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

You have to watch the fees closely- one year for Christmas Mom and Dad gave us all those type of cards- they had monthly fees and what not so the 25.00 by June had only 7.00 left :hunf:
Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 AM

my ex bought pre-paid mastercards for my girls for Christmas one year ... they came with a $4.95 per month fee. Luckily I read this when they got them so they used them right away.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM

I use them, especially when I travel. I buy mine at my bank - I think it is $5.00 to purchase, but now you can reload them for $3.00. I also like to use them when I shop online because no one will have access to my checking account info or my credit card info. If someone gets access to this card info, they are very limited to they amount they can steal. They used to have a monthly fee after the 1st six months, but that has changed. As long as you use the card for some purchase in a certain time frame (and I can't remember what that is), there is no monthly fee. When I travel I use them for gas, food, & purchases. I only use my credit card for hotel rooms. My daughter, who is in college, always keeps one on hand. It is so nice because I can reload it for her if she is running low on funds. I would check with your bank & see what their policies are, but I highly recommend them.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM

I'll have to check with my bank. Great idea, especially for ordering on line. Guess different banks would have different fees. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Marlys
I use them, especially when I travel. I buy mine at my bank - I think it is $5.00 to purchase, but now you can reload them for $3.00. I also like to use them when I shop online because no one will have access to my checking account info or my credit card info. If someone gets access to this card info, they are very limited to they amount they can steal. They used to have a monthly fee after the 1st six months, but that has changed. As long as you use the card for some purchase in a certain time frame (and I can't remember what that is), there is no monthly fee. When I travel I use them for gas, food, & purchases. I only use my credit card for hotel rooms. My daughter, who is in college, always keeps one on hand. It is so nice because I can reload it for her if she is running low on funds. I would check with your bank & see what their policies are, but I highly recommend them.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Good idea but people need to remember to use them. I always get Starbucks cards b/c they never go to waste lol
We are all coffeeholics :D
Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM

I've only used the MoneyPak cards so I can instantly load money into my PayPal. My only problem with those would be misplacing the reciept. The ones we have at Wal-Mart don't have a scratch off activation number on the card, but rather its printed on the reciept. Last time I had to go to Wal-Mart and ask if they could print out a copy of it and had to tell them everything I knew about this purchase...luckily my memory was good that day so I was able to tell her the purchase date, how much it cost, what was used to pay for it, around what time I paid for it, and even had it narrowed down to the cashier and possibly what register she was at so she was able to find it before I got off work that day. But if you get one of those cards ask if they can staple or tape the reciept to the card so you don't end up loosing it like I do.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM

they advertise them on TV as the "green card"...I think you can get them at walmart...good to take to a quilt show LOL