Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I know of one LA who has started to make her living from machine quilting, supporting her family, is also a dealer/rep for the LA set up she uses. It can be done. She has instruction classes in her home how to use the LA machine, and advanced classes. Also she teaches quilt classes at a quilt shop. She can't support her family only doing machine quilting for other even if she quilted 24 hours a day. She has to be constantly energetic and passionate about selling the LA set up to others and be on call for any problems or questions about the ones she does sell. She has to have no interruptions from kids or DH while holding her home sales, it has to be professional all the way or many will back off from the sale. She learned that the hard way. She is making a go of it but she said it was definitely a full time job with lots of overtime. She could make more income if she could be away from home for a few days a week. She is hopeful her DH is back to his old job next month so she can do her quilt business part time. It has caused a big strain on her marriage too with her DH being pouty if she needs to travel to make a sale and not be there for him and the kids. Sheesh, what a jerk. I didn't say that of course. But I give her an ear to vent. We live in different states so I can't be much help to her except listen.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM

This is a post I will be following as I have been thinking about this.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Be careful when you take a much loved hobby , and turn it into a For Profit Business.
It much different when you choose to do something and when you HAVE to do something.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM

My one friend that used to quilt as a business was doing well, but it needed to be full time to make money and she found machine quilting to be very physical (too physical for her) and decided to go back to work and quilt for herself and select clientel (like me!!). That way she has a for sure income and can take/refuse quilting jobs that works best for her and not feel that she must take on all the quilting because she has to have that money. Something to consider.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM

I agree with LoriS...to sort of paraphrase taking something I love and enjoy and into the have to get this done on a certain timetable basis would take the joy out of it for me.

It sounds like a dream to have your own QS and LA business if all you had to do was drool over all the lovely fabrics and visit with all the other quilters talking about projects and getting tips and advice. The reality is that is a very small part of all you would have to do.

Yes, I believe many people have the drive & fortitude to make their passions a reality. I thank God that they do because without them we'd all still be quilting like our ancestors did...

I am just grateful and thankful I can quilt for my family, friends and whomever else I want...enjoying each step as I go along without any committments.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM

I have been making and selling sewn things for many years at the flea markets, on the internet and craft shows off and on. I make good money at it. I also do fine art paintings and other crafts.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM

I got a longarm machine for Christmas and hope to soon be doing it for money. I have gotten quite good at pantographs. I have had a stained glass business before and while not a big money maker, I did enjoy it.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:13 PM

Never could do the "make stuff to sell" bit. but the hey can you make _______? always did well. I mend clothes for friends of friends, family and church members. Made doll clothes and costumes for people that ask. They always paid me but not anywhere to be called "making a profit", is always a pay for materials, and a thankyou added to it.
I just never could do this for money.
Would be nice though! I have to admit, if it made good money, I would definitly get more done.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM

I'm a professional longarm quilter. I did a lot of research before buying my machine.

It cost about $20,000 to get started, between the longarm, battings, thread (I started with 2 cones each of 100 colors), lighting for the workroom, books, pantographs, business cards, website, insurance, and my state business registration.

I wasn't taking clients for the fist few months because I was busily quilting every day for practice on Project Linus tops. It took me 2 years to earn that initial investment money back.

I was lucky enough to know many quiltmakers and get a good business going. I am very busy with client work, I have a huge client base now, and I still deeply love the process.

But the work is seasonal (less business in January and August, 7 days a week from October till Christmas), and it is hard on the body(standing and stretching and lifting).

At the end of the day, after paying expenses, taxes and health care and insurance, it doesn't pay as much as I had expected. I would suggest doing a lot of research before deciding, seeing an accountant, and seriously take every expense into consideration.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Not me, I'm retired and don't want the pressure of doing anything for the public. I was a systems analyst but made cards, invitations and favors on the side. It was fun, but to WANTING make something vs. HAVING to make something is what makes a hobby enjoyable!
I feel the same, PaperPrincess, and you stated it so well :)