Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Wow, I can relate to this post. This is me! I lost my JOB about two years ago and jumped in making my lap frames for hand quilting. It has not been easy, but I believe in the designs and the business. I have always worked for a big company in the past, but now this one has my name on it. It is a great feeling. I am now selling something almost everyday online, but still haven't got to the point that it will support my family. I am getting closer...

I still get excited eveyday and love my new job. So to answer the question...YES.

Good luck to anyone else who is starting out.

Harry Barnett
Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Good luck to watching your business grow Harry!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
Most of us (on this board) would love to be even more involved with the world of farics, quilts and all the wonderful gadgets that go along with them. Have you ever considered the viability of your passion for these things? Could you earn a living doing what you love?
Are you "good" enough to support yourself with your work? Are you knowledgeable enough to buy, display, teach, and market all that is involved with quilting?
Could you bear to turn your "passion" into a job?
I wouldn't want to turn it into a job. I love doing what I do and don't mind making some items for people and wouldn't mind quilting for people. But I have a job and I know I will get a check every week. I sew and do crafts to fill my spare time. I am happy selling some things, it helps fuel the hobby!!!! Keeps me buying more fabric and new things to keep me sewing.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 PM

I have several thoughts on this topic.

1. As others have stated, turning my hobby into a business would take the pleasure out of it. It would become a matter of 'have to' instead of 'want to'.

2. I was planning when I retired in a few years to buy a long arm quilting machine. I would first practice on my quilts (I must have about 15 tops to quilt). Then I could take in side jobs if I wanted to but at that point, it would just be for some extra money. It would not be money I needed to live on.

3. In my area, there are so many long arm quilters, I don't think anyone can turn it into a full time, profitable business.

4. People don't want to pay the price for any handcrafted items. A few years ago I was making some fingerless mitts, not for sale, but for myself and my family. A co-worker commissioned me to make some for her. It took me 6 hours per mitt. I charged $25 for both mitts. A 2nd co-worker said that was too much, that I should charge cost of materials + 10%. There was no way I was going to sell those mitts for under $10.00. Even at $25, my hourly rate of $1.67. The public in general does not want to pay the appropriate hourly rate for handcrafted items. I have seen quilts with price tags of over $1000 on them. They weren't overly great quilts either. People aren't going to pay that price for a quilt when they can go to Sears or some other store and pay $50-$100.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM

I briefly thought about starting a business after I retired, but, like Paper Princess, I enjoy doing my own thing! I have quilted and even made entire quilts for customers, but I don't like the pressure of having to have things done in a certain time frame. And since I am retired, I want to be able to take off and go see my GK's in Colorado and Washington! I'll still do quilting for other people occasionally, but no business for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 PM

I would not want to do that because I want to make what I want and when I want..
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 PM

WoW!!! Great posts!!! I agree with a lot of people, if I had to turn it into a business forget it!! I hate being put on a time table. Some quilts takes years to finish. I have done a couple for people, but it is too stressful at this time of my life to have to do that. This way, if I don't "feel like it" I don't have to. But I do admire those of you who have turned it into a business. I did that in my younger days and know what a lot of time, money and energy go into it. God Bless You
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM

We have a really big family and I just do quilts for their babies and very special occasions. I did a few craft shows and found out that dog toys and dog biscuits and a mouse with catnip for cats sold best! Quilts take too much time and don't make enough return. Keeps me busy doing Christmas for our own bunch and getting in a few things for myself.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 AM

I'm afraid that selling one of my quilts would be like selling one of my kids. I put my heart into each one and I make them for a person or to fulfill my creativity but don't think I could do all that for just money.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 AM

I sell now and than. I couldn't make a living but I love when I sell a quilt and since I am retired it give me money for more fabric. I am working on one now and a lady I sew with it going to buy it when it is finished. It is a scrappy log.

scrappy log
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166442[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-166437.jpe