Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black? >

Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black?

Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 PM

A lot of my quilt ideas incorporate quite a bit of black in them. In the case of my Kittie quilt, its basically all black save for the designs on the shirts (black t-shirts and black crackle fabric for borders and sashing). And the other colors I pair up with it are either white or something very bright and bold like cherry red, hot pink, neon orange, etc. Very rarely do I ever come up with a quilt that doesn't have black in it and tend to stay away from the "pretty" pastels. Its like I'm a Goth quilter designing for a Hot Topic store.

I'd like to see who else on here is attacted to black fabrics and dark quilts. Can't be the only one, right?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM

I love your quilts! I wonder what color you will be on to in 10 years? Don't we all go through phases of loving a color family?

I once took a class with a woman who had to have white in everything. I thought she was nuts until she brought in a stack of her quilts and they were gorgeous. I still don't use much white, but sure admired her quilts.

Anyways, your style is yours and that's wonderful.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
I love your quilts! I wonder what color you will be on to in 10 years? Don't we all go through phases of loving a color family?

I once took a class with a woman who had to have white in everything. I thought she was nuts until she brought in a stack of her quilts and they were gorgeous. I still don't use much white, but sure admired her quilts.

Anyways, your style is yours and that's wonderful.
Probably still black. Almost 5 years of quilting and black's still number 1. ;)
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I use black a lot ~ it really offsets bright colors, and I like neons, too. Sometimes the black and a neon will make the quilt perfect :)
Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Yeah, well, I'll probably still be attached to anything BLUE, lol.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Power Poster

Black is one of my all time favourites...but as I journey along...other colours and (gasp!) florals are also being brought into play (mainly because when I started quilting I kept stumbling upon "screaming bargains" all of which happened to be floral). My current project is very scrappy and very eclectic...when I told my husband I was doing all the blocks with black sashing...he said why not red....so red it is. Black will always be my number 1 "safe" colour...it's been the mainstay of my wardrobe since I was old enough to choose/buy my own clothes and a life without black eyeliner and mascara to me would be unthinkable! Aging Goth...you betcha! Willing to be flexible and step out of the box just for fun...why not!

Love your work....there's always so much thought and planning, your quilts reflect your interests and your life...I'm guessing black will always be your number 1 favourite...but will we see a Sunbonnet Sue who knows! Whatever happens...just enjoy doing it.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Banned

I also adore black in quilts, it can make a colorful one really pop, or add elegance to a more neutral quilt. In a scrappy quilt, it just pulls everything together!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 AM

Black is definitely a favorite of mine too. And it shows in my wardrobe also. Not goth. That's after my time but definitely a old hippie chick. LOL. I love Abbie on NCIS. SHe is so cute.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 AM

The use of black fabric can create a lot of drama in a quilt. :D
Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 AM

I use black on every quilt unless is for someone else and the person ask for no black. If the design is up to me you bet there will be black in there. To me it completes the quilt.