Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What attracted you to quilting?

Just curious :).

Well, for me it was just a natural thing to do. My grandmother and mother both quilted, and I guess I just thought everyone did!! I'm so glad they got me into it!

My kids! :lol: They had a home-ec class in school and wanted to pratice on a sewing machine at home. I got the one from my mom and haven't looked back since.

I lost my grandmother when I was young and she excelled at everything domestic. Now that my kids are grown; I'd like to be more like her and quilting was one of her many talents!

My nieces and nephew. I wanted to make a quilt for them and didn't know. Well, I went to Joann's and took a sewing class. I've been going full force ever since. Just don't ask me how much stuff I accommulate since.

Not so much what attracted me to quilting, but how I got started. Fall of 2005, Mom said the county extension office will be having a quilting class next year, want to do this with me? First response, no. Thought about it a day or so, and decided that Mom was really asking me so that she and I could do something together to get out of our houses at least once a month. Told her yes, that...as they say...was history.

A group of ladies at my church were doing lap quilts for foster kids and hosted a 'class' for all of us who had never done it before. I was hooked. I like the preciseness of piecing and really enjoy the history of it all.

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by racnquilter
    Not so much what attracted me to quilting, but how I got started. Fall of 2005, Mom said the county extension office will be having a quilting class next year, want to do this with me? First response, no. Thought about it a day or so, and decided that Mom was really asking me so that she and I could do something together to get out our houses at least once a month. Told her yes, that...as they say...was history.
    I thought I was joining a cross stitch group in Autumn 2006, only to find it was a patchwork class. I didn't have a clue!! I came away with a handful of scraps and a dresden plate template....never touched cross stitch since lol!! :D :D

This is what I made
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I worked at a fabric store and one of the other associates quilted and asked me if I wanted to take a quilt class with her and I said Yes...I have never looked back!! That was in 1992! I love working with fabric...we won't even discuss my "stash" and no, I don't have any pictures of it. It's in long bins by color (3 bins of just blues!!)...comes from working in a fabric store.

Quote Originally Posted by LoriJ
    A group of ladies at my church were doing lap quilts for foster kids and hosted a 'class' for all of us who had never done it before. I was hooked. I like the preciseness of piecing and really enjoy the history of it all.
    I love the history, too. I'm a big history buff, so doing something that has so much historical meaning is rather a win-win :).

I decided to try it since a friend of mine was quilting. Went to the quilt shop, got my materials, and pieced my first top without knowing a darn thing about how to operate a sewing machine - it was so bad that I'm embarrassed to even find that top (it's in my parents' house somewhere). But then I took a class in hand-piecing and hand-quilting from my MIL as a birthday gift, and fell in love with it. Have pretty much taught myself via a friend since (4 years ago).

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I love your pillow Izy.

I came from a very poor family and we needed blankets to keep us warm in the winter so whenever a blanket or quilt would get too thin Mom would buy whatever fabric was cheapest, usually flannel, and she would sew big pieces together to make it cover. They weren't necessarily pretty but they were warm & snuggly. They were always tied.

Mom sewed and quilted at times, so why not follow in her footsteps? Now, if I could only crochet like she did.

I can crochet Terri. Come on over and I'll show you. LOL

Oh my mom quilted... But that so is not why I settled into this delight.

I wouldn't even let DH buy a sewing machine for years. I eventually let him buy an iron, because it was for a home improvement project.

But then it happened. DD's outgrown much loved baby clothes began to pile up... I'd always loved fabrics and colors, but the machine had been OFF-LIMITS when I was growing up.

So I decided the clothes would become a quilt, and then I let them pile up some more. But then... A friend needed winter things for her preemie daughter who had now made it into clothes and needed winter things when no winter things could be found. I went through dd's and discovered I still didn't want to part with most of the girlie clothes. Around that time I picked and pattern... It's much to fun to stop with one project.

It is so soothing, even when the quilt is misbehaving. I find I'm able to quilt and let my mind wander. It has helped me to deal with many difficult things... Oh and of course the grief forum was sick of me. LOL

I bought a Better Homes and Garden magazine 19 years ago that had a quilt/embroidered alphabet quilt in it. I had just gotten married, moved away from all my family, and had to justify spending all that money on a magazine! LOL. I held onto it and 6 months later, I had moved back to my home state, gotten my first job, and with my very first "bonus" I bought a sewing machine. My mom drove an hour over to help me learn how to use it. Together, she and I embroidered all the blocks, assembled them, and I had a quilt--now, remember, I cut it all out with scissors and cardboard templates but, I still have it. It's one of my family's favorites to snuggle with and watch football.

My hubby ended up working 3rd shift and I was alone alot. I made my own dresses for work and many people asked me to make clothes for their kids. I declined--could have been something great now that I look back on it! LOL. Anyway, I was hooked on sewing/quilting and have always done some project to keep my hands busy. Once I had kids and they were school-aged, I wanted something to show for all that time in carpool line--mini quilts fit the bill. It has been a great stress reliever for me. :!:

I did cross stitch for 17 yrs. They are pretty and I enjoyed doing them, but when they were finished and framed, they just hang on the wall. Something about quilts being functional..........THEY get finished and you snuggle under them and watch an old movie and drink hot chocolate.....aaahhhhhhh!!

This is a terrific question, by the way. I like them. Feels like a survery. :D

Dorothy of Kansas.....It's in long bins by color (3 bins of just blues!!)...
    Oh my goodness. A Woman after my own heart. I LOVE blue. I counted my blues once. 289. (but not much of any one) I have a bad habit of buying 1/4 or 1/2 yds.

Blog Entries
    I sewed a lot for my kids when they were growing up and ended up with a lot of leftover fabric. Being somewhat of a pack rat I couldn't bring myself to throw the scraps away. One day I made a 9-patch out of some fabric that was a particular favorite. Don't know what inspired me to do that but I soon decided it was the perfect way to use up all my fabric scraps. So I put together my first quilt top. I knew the quilt would never get finished if I hand quilted it so I got a book from the library on machine quilting. This was back in the 80's when machine quilting was pretty much looked down on by most quilters. I finished that quilt and even though it wasn't exactly a masterpiece I was very proud of my work. That got me started and I've quilted on and off ever since.

I have to say thank you for this. I am loving hearing everyone's stories.

Thanks.

My boyfriend at the time (15 years ago) his mother was a quilter. I use to love seeing the pretty projects she would make. One year for my birthday she bought all the fabrics and taught me the very basics of quilting by making a sampler quilt. I was HOOKED!!! From there I taught myself. I have been quilting for 15 years now, teaching for 12 of them!

I was into restoring the old quilts, and one day found a sewing machine at a yard sale and started making my own.

Sewing is a natural attraction to me. I taught myself pretty much at age 14 to sew. My grandmother came that summer and gave me support and showed me some things. I made all my school clothes my junior year in high school, and pretty much thereafter. Quilting.....that desire came about 20 years later, I would buy magazines or books on How to Quilt, but never had time to really sit down and get into it (or maybe I just needed a group of quilters like you). My grandmothers quilted out of neccesity and we always had quilts on our beds for blankets....Quilts feel good...Guess it's kind of in my genes....I'm just a late bloomer.

I've always loved textiles. And quilts. I just collected them before I sewed. My great grandmothers were quilters, so I think they were dropping hints from beyond! Anyway, almost two years later and I am hooked so bad! I hope I'm making the greats proud. They would probably shake their heads at my color usage! LOL!

When my mom found out she had cancer my sister and I spent hours at doctor offices and at the hospital. She would crochet and I would knit.
    After a long hard battle with cancer my mom passed away and the knitting and crocheting brought back too many sad memories so my sister suggested we try quilting. Now I bring handwork to my dads when I visit in the evenings ( to keep him company ). My sister has made a few quilts, but is now back to crocheting, I on the other hand can't get enough quilting. It is my therapy and keeps me happy.

My mum has always been quite crafty doing bobbin lace and cross stitch and things, so sewing has always had a place in my childhood. I guess what really inspired me though was when I visited Canada in 2004 and saw a double wedding ring quilt in nova scotian tartan and royal blue - fell in love with it. A double wedding ring of my own is my 'one day' ambition.

What wonderful stories!
    I have "always" enjoyed sewing -- took my first class when I was eight or so, then moved on to garment making at 13 or 14. I'm short, so I always make my formal attire. :wink:
    I've always wanted to learn to quilt, because of the sewing and also because I do a fair amount of crocheting, especially afghans and baby layettes. I wanted to add something more...
    Then we got pregnant with our first child, and I made her baby room. Including something I niavely called a quilt. :oops:
    I found out that our church has a quilt group, a very active and loving bunch that welcomed me with open arms. I have never found a more loving community than quilters. They seem so willing to share their knowledge and experience rather than keeping them secrets to find out the hard way.
    Needless to say, it became an obesession! Three years, and already I've got more UFO's and ideas than I can reasonably hope to carry out in a lifetime!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast