Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What attracted you to quilting?

I had my own apartment in New York City for ten years and started making a lot of my own clothes to save money. I'd always loved looking at pictures of quilts but thought I'd never want to cut all those pieces! Fast forward several years --- my husband and I were going to Vermont. Somehow I heard of Hearthside Quilts, an excellent company that sold a huge variety of quilt kits with all the pieces pre-cut. We stopped by, picked out a queen-size Trip Around the World in colors we'd never choose now, went next door to Burger King for a quick lunch, came back and the entire kit was cut and packaged. My second quilt was from them too, and then I started learning and THEN it became an addiction. You'll all understand. My thanks to my husband Jack who encourages me and has always shown an interest, even attending quilt shows and sometimes helping me choose fabrics.

I watched my mom sew while growing up so at 8 I started to sew in 4-H. My first project was a knit t-shirt that I still have. My mom always loved quilts and would buy quilt books and patterns, but was never sure how to do it. About 10 years ago she made a rag quilt as a baby present. She helped me make some for presents that same year and since then I have never looked back. I took all of her books and read and read and read and taught myself. My mom now jokes and calls me the quilt expert :)

Blog Entries
    I started out with trying to make a shirt, with a hood..I think it was a stye, back then, but cant remember for sure.. Then I eventually made some 12"squares, and sewed them together..Never had any ideal what backing or batting was. Eventually I started taking scraps, and sewing them together. Made a bunch of them, and we used them for chair/couch covers.. Then I joined the quilt guild, 20 year's ago, and been hooked forever... Don

Blog Entries
    sorry, the word is style, not stye,,

I remember going to my Grandma's(about a block from our house) and she would have up the large quilting frame in the dining room. She and several lady friends would be sitting around the frame and quilting away and visiting. My Mom was also an incredible seamstress. She and grandma also made most of our dresses(5 girls in our family). I was sewing buttons, making my dolls clothes and blankets when I was 7 or 8. Made most of my clothes in HS and had my first full quilt completed when I was 19 and I did all the quilting by hand(I couldn't tell you how many times I wanted to take the thimble and toss it across the room and then I would get this image of my Grandma telling me you can do it, try again). Low and behold I finally got the rythm of rocking the needle back and forth with the thimble so I wasn't tearing up my fingers. I've been quilting ever since. I also do crocheting, cross stitch, embroidery, needlepoint, made my girls their own cabbage patch dolls from scratch and they each have a lg. quilt all hand quilted. I've done quilts for fund raisers(one raised $2,800.00) I love fabric!

I have sewn since I was a small girl and did 4-H for many years. I started making cheater/panel quilts that were pillow cased and tied. About 8 years ago I started watching a quilting show and got more and more interested. Finally when niece got married I made my first pieced quilt. A couple of years later, my nephew married and I made my second. Then a few years ago came retirement; I moved down to where my sis lives. Now we quilt together like crazy!!

Banned
    For yrs I sewed..... Mainly clothes for my son when he was young then for me..I often wondered what it would be like to make a blanket for my family, but shied away from it, til one day I was flipping channels and saw a lady sewing... Hrmmmmmmmmm That looks easy, Hey I do That, Wow! that looks fun..... I WAS HOOKED....... I watch Eleanor Burns (Quilt in a day) EVERY SAT now...... Was looking for beginner patterns online, found this forum and now I'm totally in 7th heaven..... :D

I received a sewing machine for Christmas when I was 12. It was absolutely the last thing I wanted, but my mom, aunt and grandmother all sewed, so it was my turn to learn.

I did the required Home Ec sewing class but never really liked making things til I was pregnant with my son and I hated the store bought maternity clothes. I made the nursery set also, and clothes for both my kids til they were about 4. One day the kids and I wandered into a shop called Piecemakers to see what it was. It was a quilt shop and I could not believe how much $$ they wanted for the consigned quilts. I loved how all the different fabrics got put together, but being a busy working mom, I didn't even consider taking up a hobby. It must have been a seed planted though because in 2003 I saw a quilt book and I knew I just had to make the one on the cover. A nurse I worked with wanted to learn to quilt also, so we signed up for a local beginners class, and I have been addicted ever since!

By the way, my mom, aunt and grandmother had all quit sewing when I started making quilts! I got my aunt started making quilts and now she is addicted too.

This is the second quilt I made. The one that inspired me to learn to quilt. It gave it to my mother.
    Name:  Attachment-16715.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  89.8 KB

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Isn't it so wonderful to hear all the stories of sewing being passed down through the generations?!
    My mom and grandmother made clothes when I was younger - I would help my mom cut out the patterns and stuff. I dabbled in making clothes but just never liked it, probably because I wasn't any good at it!! When I was pregnant with my DD (she's 8 now), my grandmother and great aunt died within a few weeks of each other and I inherited a quilt from my aunt and I loved it, no one knows who made it - I'll have to take a picture of it and share with y'all. Anyway, just a few weeks after I got the quilt from Aunt Esther, my DH's cousin offered to make a quilt for my DD - and I went with her to the quilt store a few miles from my house to pick out the pattern and the fabrics - and I was in awe of what I saw hung up and the fabrics that were there. After that she made one for my son. A few years later (and after a few eye candy visits to the quilt store) my good friend and I signed up for a quilting class and now...well, I can't get enough of it! Been at it for 4 or 5 years and can't imagine EVER stopping!

Banned
    Well, how I got into quilting is sort of strange....
    My family gets huge boxes of books, we own a book business, and there was a quilting book there and I started looking through and I was hooked. I started making a quilt, with no info whatsoever :roll:
    So, there you are. My lengthy explanation.

Blog Entries
    Well, THEO, with the pretty musical notes as your logo...

I seem to have lost your sweet message, but it touched my heart. I am so happy someone in today's world still loves a grandmother! And to think that she inspired you to be a quilter is the best story yet.

I never knew a grandmother on either side of the family, but my mother loved to sew. She told me that her mother had brought in a meager income back in the early 19th centruy by sewing embroidered dust caps. Would any one of us know what that is? The ladies all wore long hair put up on top of their heads and of course wanted to keep it as clean as possible as long as possible. Times were rough back then. So she made the traditional little elastic type and shaped dust caps to use when they did their house cleaning. I suppose vacuumes were not invented by then and most people could not afford carpet anyway. Apparently my grandmother was well-known for her sewing and embroidery skills. She passed that ability down to my mother so there was always lots of cloth at our house.

So how does that all translate to quilting? I began cutting pieces of cloth (out of the middles of yardage) when I was two. You know any mother is going to be upset about that if the yardage were being saved for somethign special. Then I learned to find scraps of cloth she had laid aside and made things like coin purses. Of course the purses could not be given away empty, so I "borrowed" the change from the milk bottles set out for our milk man. Hmmmm! Got into trouble for that one too! Then someone finally gave me a piece of cloth of my own and I was allowed to make my first dress before I was eight. Those precious little clippings from the corners and sides could not be wasted, so my mother and my aunt showed me how to put them together for a doll quilt or doll dresses.

The doll quilt is what caught my heart, so my "career" as a quilter went from there. Most of my quilts have been for gifts--weddings, new babies and even just because. But someday (when I manage to get back home) I still want to make one for every grandchild in our family. There are 17 now and I need to quit this and get busy!

The message I get from all this is that it takes lots of tender love and care from someone who wants you to succeed at something useful. I see some little girls who know nothing but TV and boys and it breaks my heart.

GramMER

Actually I really like to sew...
    My Mother made clothes for us and her. I can still remember her getting so mad about a pants pattern not fitting right.
    I made my first "formal" for Rainbow Girls on my grandmothers treadle machine...
    I didn't sew for many years and just took it up again in probably 1998 or so.
    I bought a cheap machine then bought a spendy machine then another spendy machine with embroidery and I love it...
    I love combineing machine embroidery with quilting and just bought the Duetta 4500D at the end of May...
    Sewing offers me a way to "build" things, buy fabric, hope and wish for a beautiful quilt, a fun smile from a "trick or treat bag" or just to sew "just for me"!!!
    I look forward to many years of this wonderful hobby!
    Thanks,
    Kirsten

Blog Entries
    i rember my mom buying my sister and children embroidery kits ,where she made us learn to hand sew i wanted to use her sewing machine but she won,t let me use her machine so in 7th grade i learned from home ec , on a sewing machine from their i make small projects at home i brought me a small used sewing machine and have been in love with sewing,how i got started quilting a lady from work told us she was giviing classes on quilting i was always curious about quilts so i went to my class and fell in love with making quilts .my frist quilt project was trip around the world and have been quilting ever since

Blog Entries
    I started quilting when young girl. Mom sewed and always had scraps for me to make doll blankets. Then time went on and I started my family. I made the kids clothes and then took the scraps and sewed them on old blankets to make warm quilts for the kids beds. So about 1948 started quilting./or sewing patches on old blankets and have progressed to every type of quilting. Hand quilting being my favorite or applique.
    I have taught at Joanns... adult education... and in my home. I even had a small quilt shop where every Sunday I would hang a new quilt in my front window... If I went to church Sunday and the quilt was not changed everyone wondered what I had done that week. I helped support my family by making quilts.
    Today I quilt for churches, raffles, kids, siblings and fun. Always have at least 5 items going. Make my self finish those 5 tops before I start another. That is really hard because I see so much I still would like to do.
    I do not really like the craziness of some of the quilting magazines today. The patterns are just to far out.... Prefer to go back to the old tried and true patterns of yesteryear.
    Love this group and this was a fun subject to read...

I started sewing in high school in Home Ec. Made all the assigned projects and had to put all the zippers in the dresses and skirts for the style shows. Sometimes it does'nt pay to be good at something! Ha! I also designed and sewed all my Rainbow formals. Took design in college. Made all my kids baby and other clothes, including a cowboy shirt for my 4 yr.old son, it had 17 pieces in it. Don't know why I remember that! A friend introduced me to quilting when I was 60 yrs. old and the thing I regret the most is all the wasted years I missed that I could have been quilting. Thanks for asking and I love all the stories you all have to tell. Jan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3