New in Ohio

Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 AM

I have been reading all of the helpful hints for a few weeks. Everyone is so friendly and full of wonderful ideas. I have been quilting on and off for about 4 years. I live in a small town with no quilt shops, so it is wonderful to see all the pictures and examples on this site.

I am hoping someone has the directions for a log cabin quilt that is quilt as you go. I need to finish something quickly for a wedding present and thought this might be ideal, but am not sure how to start. Thanks for any and all help!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry I can't help with the log cabin. I know someone will be able to, though.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM

Thanks anyway. Any other ideas for something very quick? I need it finished by June 2, or earlier, for a wedding gift.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 AM

Welcome,
I don't know exactly what you mean by directions that are"quilt as you go" haven't heard this. Explain again, you started a Log Cabin quilt and need to finish it fast?
Hopefully, "ButtercreamCakeArtist" helped you with this. (That sure is a long name, maybe we'll just call her BCA. Any ways, goodluck, and one of us, I'm sure will come up with an idea!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 PM

Hi Danna and welcome to the board I know you will like it here. As for you qustion on quilt as you go Patrice just posted these on another thread so I'm copying here for you.
Method 1:

stitch the blocks together in rows.
sandwich the backing, batting and top for the first row
leave at least two or three inches of extra back and batting at the sides and top, but trim the batting so it's just a leeeetle bit more than a 1/4" short of the bottom edge of the backing in and top.
quilt that sucker right up to the edges if you want.

lay down the batting for the next row
put the backing right-side up on top
next, put the quilted row on top - front facing up
then put down the next row of the top - face down - just as you would do if you were only assembling the top.
match your seams, pin into place
sew your quarter inch seam through all the layers

when you flip the back and front, you'll have the three layers in proper order.
quilt that sucker right to the edges, too

repeat this process until you've done all the rows.

if you pieced the border, too, the only thing left to do is the binding.

if you haven't added the borders yet, do so now. use the same method you used for the rows.

c'est voila!!!! all quilted and no hand stitching needed to close or cover any of the seams.

bind that puppy and show it off to the world.

Hope this helps you Ceanna
Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM

Welcome, Danna, where in Ohio are you? I' in NC now but grew up in lower Ohio and WV. You'll love it here!

Sharon
Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 AM

Sharon, I am in lower Ohio and can see West Virginia and Pennsylvania from my house. My town is right on the river. It sounds as if you used to live not far from where I am.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 AM

My friend told me that her daughter made a log cabin quilt for home -ec in school. She said that each square was made separately. The batting was cut just a little smaller than the backing, and each log was sewn through the batting and backing so it was quilted when finished. Then she joined the individual blocks to make the quilt. Now that I explained it, I spose I could figure it out for myself :lol: I would just cut my backing to about an inch larger than I want my finished square, so I can join them with a 1/4" seam. Add a border and, and it is finished. Does that sound about right? If I used different fabric for the backing the squares, the back could be as interesting as the front.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:44 AM

What a great idea, thanks. I especially love the descriptive language you use. I am so happy I found this site. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I am spreading the word!
Old 10-12-2007, 07:26 PM

You have to live very close to my brother. He lives just over the border in West Virginia. I live in Ohio too.
Judy