Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with quilting foot >

Need help with quilting foot

Need help with quilting foot

Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 AM

I have a Singura Futura from 1974. I am trying to use it for a free motion quilting class. I got the quilting foot on correctly, and I made sure that the machine is threaded properly. I have also tried various thread tensions. Nothing is working. Help?

Also, if anyone has this machine, is there any way to drop the feed dogs? I have read through the manual, and there is nothing about this. I have to know how to get these things to work, or I have to drop the class I had planned to take this weekend.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 AM

I see there is a customer support tab on their website. Have you tried contacting them?

http://www.singerco.com/futura

Originally Posted by tdgiffin
I have a Singura Futura from 1974. I am trying to use it for a free motion quilting class. I got the quilting foot on correctly, and I made sure that the machine is threaded properly. I have also tried various thread tensions. Nothing is working. Help?

Also, if anyone has this machine, is there any way to drop the feed dogs? I have read through the manual, and there is nothing about this. I have to know how to get these things to work, or I have to drop the class I had planned to take this weekend.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I'm wondering exactly what "quilting foot" you have. A lot of feet for quilting are actually meant for piecing. A quilting foot for FMQ needs to be a "hopping" foot such as a darning foot. A hopping foot has a spring in it. If you hold the foot in your hand, you should be able to move the foot up and down on the shank because of the spring. I am wondering if you have the right kind of foot for FMQ.

Some quilters actually find it easier to FMQ with feed dogs up. It depends a lot on the individual quilter and the individual machine. For machines that do not have the option to lower the feed dogs, you can cover the feed dogs. You can just tape an index card over the feed dogs and make a hole for the needle. Alternatively, some people punch a hole in an old credit card or driver's license for the needle and tape the credit card over the feed dogs.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

if your feed dogs don't drop then take a piece of plastic or 3x5 card, punch a hold in the center and tape over the feed dogs. Also feet must be especially for quilting. If you a free motioning then must have that foot otherwise it won't work.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM

You can cover your feed dogs if they don't drop. If you are using the darning (fmq quilting) foot, you may need to release the "pressure" on your "presser" foot. I'm not familiar with your machine so I can't tell you how. Do you have the user manual for your machine?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM

if you can't get the feed dogs to drop, cover them with an index card.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 AM

look on the back of the machine, kind of under the sewing area. that's where the feed dog switch is for my singer.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Does this machine have a "cover" for over the feed dogs. I used to have a Golden Touch n Sew from that era and there was a cover that snapped over the feed dog with two little holes in the throat plate. My sister had a Futura and I think it was similar. A couple of years ago for old time sake, I purchased a touch n sew for $20 . . sews great but will NOT do free motion quilting with the feed dogs covered. I tried everything, but the tension is way off without the feed dogs engaged. FYI