Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do your kids sew/quilt? >

do your kids sew/quilt?

do your kids sew/quilt?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 AM

No, my 15 year old son is not interested in sewing, although I do force him to look at all my projects and give comments (makes some good suggestions too!). I am hoping for a craft DIL someday, and hopefully some grandkids...
My oldest sister taught me how to sew and quilt, nothing doing in the rest of the family. I almost failed home ec in school because I couldn't sew!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 AM

my DD does but them shes 52 and if a better quilter than I am. LOL...don't have GD and boys never showed much interest
Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 AM

One of my boys made a quilt as a 4-H project years ago. Two of my boys enjoy cross stitch. My daughter sews whenever she can get Mom to help her. I need to do that more often!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 AM

Both my son and daughter sew, but do not quilt--yet....
Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM

I will definitely be teaching my daughters (4 yrs and 6 weeks) to sew! I am already on the lookout for a good "starter" sewing machine for older DD to begin using maybe this summer - my excuse to go to garage sales this spring, LOL.

And I love that you have pictures of your kids sewing - great memories to share through the years and even with their kids one day!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 AM

How wonderful that you can share sewing/quilting with your kids. I tried to teach DD to sew when she was younger and had no success but I taught several of her friends to sew. DD does not sew but she can draw anything.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM

I helped my daughter make a quilt in high school. Since then she has made great Halloween costumes, like a dress with boning. Also has made Roman shades curtains and reupholstered her dining room chairs. She lives 2 hours away so she did it all without help from me. As if I could have helped her. This winter she taught herself to knit and is doing a great job. She is talented and willing to try anything. I have to admit I like she got this from my husbands side not from me.
My son knows the difference between a pin and a needle and that's it.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 AM

One DD is interested. She has sewed and made quilt blocks. One DD has sewn in school, but isn't interested at all now, but all three of her DDs love to sew with Nana...yeah! The youngest will be 3 in June. She went with me to my quilt guild this week and helped to stuff heart shaped pillows for breast cancer patients. She has helped me stuff pincushions before. She tells me, "I want to help, Nana, please?" She likes to sit on my lap and push the start button and hold the fabric.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM

I thought both of my daughters and they decided they would just rather have mom do it for them. Go figure.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM

My youngest dd liked that I sew/quilt but didn't take the time to learn. She can sew/repair stillnot interested in quilting at all though she loves getting quilted projects of mine. However
my dgd Maggie has decided to learn to quilt.I bought her a brother sewing machine so she could have her own machine. we sewed [together] a book bag, a lunch bag and a duffle bag.
She waited too close for school to start to do it by herself.
she has gotten lots of comments on it, but refuses to make one for anyone. She wants to have the only one at school
lol!!
Penny