Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met..................... >

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 AM

I have met several as I went to Jr. High and High school in Palm Springs.
My favorite one I have met is a behind the scenes one...
many of us have seen her work on 2 long running television shows.
Her name is Carolyn.
Carolyn was the lady that made all the quilts on Little House on the Prairie as well as on The Waltons.
She lives about 25 mins. from me and have met with her several times.
Have bought several vintage quilts as well as vintage quilting stuff from her personal stash that she sold off in a living estate sale.
I just love sitting with this lady and hearing her stories.
Carolyn no longer can quilt as she is legally blind now.
She has a wonderful boyfriend even at her age and they are both very happy......
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 AM

Wonderful story. Would love to have met her myself.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 AM

That's really cool!! I loved that show!!
I have met a couple but one who I didn't know who he was at first was Ben Stiller. He bought one of my puppies and he came to my house to pick out the puppy and then we delivered the puppy to his next door neighbor right before Christmas a few years (7 or 8)back. When we first heard from "his people" I had no idea who he was. My boss had to tell me who he was and what movies he had starred in at that time. He's also the son of Stillar and Mira, remember them, comedians from back in the 70's.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Randy Owens from the group Alabama I think tops the list- he is so nice and down to earth :thumbup:
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 AM

I also grew up in California and briefly met a few famous people.

In person I met Bob Cummings who was visiting a friend of mine's father and walked into the bedroom when we all getting dressed after a pajama party. We were only teenagers and all went hiding as fast as possible because of embarassment.

Jeff Bridges, he wouldn't let me roller skate in the driveway of one of my neighbors who was giving having a party. My neighbor was Lloyd Bridges stand-in for Sea Hunt.

Peter Lawford, who I met at a party and was NOT impressed at all with. He was very conceded and abnoxious and even tried to pawn off a girl with my date. He also wore so much makeup it looked like you could scratch it off!

I spoke on the phone with Mamie Van Doran and Lucille Ball. Both seemed very nice and I wish I had met them personally.

And last was Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 who were performing at Disneyland. They weren't well known yet and Michael was just a kid. I bumped into Michael on accident and appoligized. We stayed and listened to the performance and I, like so many in the future was impressed with his/their talent.

Unfortunately except for Mr. Lawford, I would have liked to actually know these people, but I would give them all up just to know Carolyn and see her wonderful quilts!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Went to the city for a show called Dinner theatre with John Ritter and Henry Winkler. DH and I arrived at the doors early. Henry Winkler walked right up to us and started chatting. He is such a down to earth guy. Wish I had my camera with me.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Steve Martin back when they were doing a college tour together in the early 70's. Steve was very introverted and kept to himself, but the Band members were lots of fun. Good memories.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM

I love country music and bluegrass. I grew up with a brother who has played since he was about 17. I've met some of the older ones like Hank Snow, Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver almost forgot Connie Smith.

Jenny:)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM

We sold an antique quilt to Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, but it was through a store so we weren't there.

Not too long ago we got a call from a local innkeeper, he had a couple who were interested in coming to our house to buy a quilt. They were from NYC, they did buy two antique quilts, we are 99% sure the woman was Louise Lasser (Mary Hartman). The guy signed the check so we can't be sure. She was very nice and was just like the characters she plays!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Randy Owens from the group Alabama I think tops the list- he is so nice and down to earth :thumbup:
yay Sharon...but can he Q*U*I*L*T...lol