Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What famous quilters have you seen or met in person?

Blog Entries
    What famous quilters have you seen or met in person? Did you get any of your books autographed signed from them?

Blog Entries
    I got to see Holice Turnbow yesterday at the National Quilt Show at Columbus, Ohio as he was giving a free speech on binding.

Here is a link so you can learn more about him

http://www.charltonsewingcenter.com/holiceTurnbow.html

you can go to this website and search the videos to find the binding by Holice Turnbow

http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/134

I talked with Marti Michell as we both stood in line to pay for our purchases during a local shop hop.

I talked with M'Liss Raye Hawley as she manned a Hancocks booth at a quilt show. We talked about whe she lives. I got her to sign a book and I later took a class from her.

Both are very nice personable ladies.

I have met the ladies that wrote the "Little Quilts" books. They have a LQS in Georgia.

I have seen Eleanor Burns several times and Alex Anderson once at the Houston quilt festival. I have seen Flynne (my mind just went blank on his first name) at several different quilt shows and have sat and talked with him once. I have seen a few others that I have seen on tv quilting shows like Simply Quilts showing and teaching their techniques but don't know their names. It's fun to spot one!

I kissed Ricky Timms on the cheek this year at the Paducah Quilt Show :oops: :oops: (And guess who left her da** camera at home?)

I met Ricky Timms and Marti Michell at the NEC in Birmingham UK

Blog Entries
    I met Gwen Marsten and was such a doof... i didn't know who she was at the time...until she left the store and i thought a moment...so when she talked to me i was...not rude or anything like that more just ...dumb...i helped her pick out a couple fabrics and cut fabric for her but did not have a conversation because i was too dumb and she left the store...puzzled? maybe, i realized who she was right after she left and suddenly knew exactly what she was talking about, which i was totally stupid about when she was there, which had ended the conversation and moved it to just being a customer...and boy...she left wondering why the owner (whom she knows) would hire someone who knows nothing about quilting?) yup i was close to that dumb...

I met Kaye Woods at a Michigan quilt show a few years ago. She was very nice.
    Also, Eleanor Burns at her shop in California and she signed a book for my Mom.

Ricky Tims
    Libby Lehman
    Alex Anderson
    Eleanor Burns
    Cathy Miller
    Paula Nadlestern
    Carol Doak
    Nancy Davis-Murty
    Mark Lipinski
    Maria Oquendo...Oh Yeah! That's me! I am very popular in my house, so it counts.

Did you know there is a Quilter's Hall of Fame?

I have met Eleanor Burns, as her shop is right here in CA. I taught her methods when I first started out teachaing. And took classes at QIAD. She is amazing as she always remembers my name. I love her sister Judy, who works the phone orders. My DH and I were there once and Judy gave us a tour of the whole place, I even met their dogs! Met Alex Anderson and Earlene Fowler and Freddie Moran at the Road to Ca. Freddie is a hoot!

I took a class from Melinda Bula. She was great and really friendly.

Oh, I forgot Judy Rothermel. She is Aunt Gracie of Aunt Gracie fabrics. She and her husband Bob are very nice and are from my hometown of Canton, Ohio. Their shop is online now, Schoolhouse Quilts.com.

Blog Entries
    I met quilt designer Lisa Moore of Quilts With A Twist (http://www.quiltswithatwist.com/) last year when she was here visiting our neighbors. She, I and two friends went fabric shopping and out for lunch. That was sheer delight for me to see her pick out fabrics for a quilt she was designing. AND, I had a card at the shop we were in where they keep track of how much you spend there and after you get your card full, you get $25 off your next purchase. When Lisa purchased her fabric, she had the owner put her purchases onto my card. Wow, that filled up one card I had going and was a good start on another. She is a friendly, generous, all-around great person and we all had so much fun.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Carol Doak- I actually went to Paducah with her and several others in the early 90's right when she got her first book published "Quiltmaking: Basics & Beyond" before she did paper piecing. We had such a blast!!! She's a hoot!
    Jinny Beyer- took a class from her
    Kaye Wood
    Pat Andreatta
    Charlene Jorgenson
    Gwen Marston- I took a class from her and had her sign a block I was working on.
    Lots of fun meeting those ladies! I wish I could meet Georgia Bonesteel. Her books really got me hooked!! I would also love to meet Judy Martin.
    Actually there are many others I'd love to meet!!

I haven't met any one. But would love to meet Marsye, she's famous here!!! Hi Marsye how are ya!! :lol: :lol:

Eleanor Burns, Judy Martin, and Carol Doak. Yes, I had my books signed by all of them. All three were wonderfully funny and sweet. I got to spend an entire evening with Carol Doak and take a workshop from her the next day. She's delightful. Judy Martin was hilarious too. I met both of them at Threads of Time quilt shop in Danville Illinois. Threads of Time has nationally known quilters in quite often. Eleanor Burns I met on a trip to the quilt show in Paducah.

lucky lucky ladies, i am soso jealous.lol

MQX classes taken with
    Suzanne Earley
    Pam Clark
    Cathy Franks
    Dawn Cavanagh
    Cathy Wiggins
    Debra Jones
    Debbie Brown
    Kim Brunner
    Sharon Schambler
    and others I don't remember right off
    Guest Speaker was Mark Lipinski, OMG he is a HOOT
    Classes local
    Carol Doak
    Kaffe Fasset with his assistant Brandon M?

not Eleanor Burns but her sister a couple of months ago.

Blog Entries
    Here on the West Coast we have lots of quilt shops and classes.
    Judy Murrah -Jacket Jazz
    Karen Boutte - Quilt Diva - Local
    Alex Anderson - See very often - local
    Sally Collins-Precision Piecer
    Laura Nownes & Diana McClun - Quilts, Quilts, Quilts - Local
    Nancy Johnson-Srebro - Block Magic
    Laura Lee Fritz - Machine Quilter - She's a Local
    Judy Sisneros -9 Patch Pizzazz- several classes - local
    Gai Perry - Impressionist & Watercolor Quilts
    Georgia Bonesteel - got signed book & photo with her
    Sharyn Craig-Sensational Sets
    Jackie Robinson - several classes with her. She does dimensional quilts
    Linda Ballard- several classes
    Colleen Granger-Bodacious Quilts - a close friend - local
    Nancy Mahoney - 50 Paper Pieced Designs - our guild just receive a large number of her books & fabric
    Cara Guilotte- Spiral quilts - local
    Mary Ellen Hopkins -It's Ok to Sit on My Quilts - spend 2 days with her. She's a hoot & can out & out smoke anyone!
    Roberta Horton & her sister Mary Massuta- locals from Berkeley, CA

Ricky Timms, John Flynn, Carol Doak, Billie Lauder, & Eleanor Burns all at the AQS Quilt Show in Paducah but different years.

Blog Entries
    All of them that go to Paducah quilt show. And most of the Best of Show winners too. All are out and about or in their booths. Alex Anderson is the only one that seems to make an appearance, do what she has to do and then leaves. She doesn't mingle like the others. I've meet one quilter on the shuttle bus, who had several quilts in the quilt museum. She won years ago and doesn't enter any more. I cannot think of her name! She does miniatures. You never know who you will be talking to there!

Blog Entries
    I was living at the time in Utah,
    which is kinda out of the way for most teachers to travel to for shows and talks,
    but one summer just before she left Simply Quilts Alex Anderson came to our LQS/Bernina dealer store,
    and she signed my wallhanging that I had just made from her original "Start Quilting" book!

A very gracious lady
    Name:  Attachment-88751.jpe
Views: 92
Size:  103.1 KB

My Sampler
    Name:  Attachment-88752.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  71.2 KB

Her signature. I treasure it!
    Name:  Attachment-88753.jpe
Views: 83
Size:  55.0 KB

Signing my newly purchased book
    Name:  Attachment-88755.jpe
Views: 82
Size:  85.9 KB

Blog Entries
    My first quilt class was MartiMuchell, Jinny Beyers shop is about 10 miles from me, go there often. Took a class with Kaffe Fassett & Liza Prior Lucy met Brandon Mabley. Had all of Kaffe's books signed. Took a seminar with Mark Lipinski, oh boy that was something else. Stella Rubin, Luann Rubin, Alex Anderson.

Marianne Fonz of Fonz and Porter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast