Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you know about burns? >

What do you know about burns?

What do you know about burns?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM

About a year ago I grabbed a large chicken fryer (large deep
skllet) It was stainless steel with the same handle. A dumb
thing I just wasn't thinking and the whole area of my hand
that gripped it hurt like crazy. My husband quickly went
to the drug store about 6 blocks away and they sold him a
spray can of (hospital strength) Dermoplast...antibacterial
pain relieving spray. We gave it a spray and it quit hurting immediately...no blisters, no nothing. It was a
little pricy at over $7 for a 2 and1/2 oz. can...but well
worth it. I would like to think everybody had a can on hand
"just in case".
Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Wow, tons of good info here! I did apply lavender (fairly quickly) and had it in the aloe w/an icecube (it would burn like fire if I didn't have it cool enough) - the next day I could see two blisters on one finger and one larger one on the other. Today, I can't even see the two blisters, and I can barely see the third. And it's only just barely sensitive. Not what I was expecting! I definitely made note of the other suggestions as well - when you're in that kind of pain, you want to try whatever works and NOW!
*hugs* to all of you for your replies!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM

I know everyone will think that I am really crazy but it does work wonders. The very cheap item for burns is Clorox! Pure good old Clorox on a burn and let it dry. It will take the burn out in a few seconds along with sterilizing the area. I work (manager) of a school cafeteria and we have used it for the last 20 yrs. and yes we all get burned by ovens, pans, and sauces and such. In my 25 yrs of using Clorox I only have one scar on my wrist from a burn and that was before we found out about Clorox. Some will think that it will make it burn more but it does not. My grandson put his hand on my glass top stove one time and burnt his little fingers and we used our magic on him and in a minute he had forgotten about it. DON'T WASH IT OFF FOR SEVERAL HOURS. Robin in WNC
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM

As I was a lab tech yonks ago before I went into legal - then here's the gist......the burn is probably close to being a 2nd degree burn...& putting all the various topicals/oitments/lotions etc & any over the counter products - is only going to "feed it" as after all they all do contain to a certain degree oils...even just a slight amount is going to "feed the burn".

If you are still getting pain etc & also if the white patcheds have by now turned to blisters....then it would be best to seek professional medical help (Dr's)...as infections to burn areas can be more drastic than some know about.

Plus as also its on your hand....then infections are more likely to occurr...as the naked eye cannot see the bacteria - only viable to see via microscope...no matter how we clean thngs etc - like towels etc can have something so invisable to us....so best to see Dr.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM

I burned my finger on a hot glue gun once. Of course the Dr. office was closed so I called the pharmacist and she said to soak it in saline solution for 10 minutes then put neosporin with pain killer on it. I did that and it took the pain away. She said the saline solution brings back the ph to the surface of the skin.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Thanks for the suggestions. I have it soaking in some aloe juice w/an ice cube now. Amazing how much it still hurts when I take it out. Seriously - how do burn patients survive the pain when huge areas of their body are effected?! I consider myself as having a fairly high pain tolerance and I'm wondering how I'm gonna sleep tonight. Gotta get another ice cube!!!
When I got 1st and 2nd degree burns on both my arms, of course, I had to go to the clinic everyday to scrub my arms. Boy, does that ever hurt. Then they gave me cream that had silver in it. There's something about silver that helps heal burns. They kept me on antibiotics because I developed infection in both arms. You really don't realize how the sun can burn you like that but I learned the hard way. You don't find me out in the sun for very long any more. Now I remember the name of the cream...silvadene. I'd say if it's still burns tomorrow to make you an appointment to see your doctor. Hope you get to feeling better. Sorry about you getting burned. Keep us posted how you are doing.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Cold running water for up to an hour or a bowl of water with ice in it, then cold aloe gel. If that doesn't work within a few hours, go to the hospital, your burns are too severe to do home care.

Do not put butter, soy sauce or anything else like that on the burn, it will contaminate it and could cause an infection.

When I grabbed a casserole dish from the oven without gloves, I burned all 10 of my finger tips - I could not drop the dish, it was dinner so I had to set it down carefully. I did the cold water for an hour then just kept slathering on the aloe gel. When I went to bed I put a thick coat of aloe gel on each finger and wrapped then in gauze to keep the aloe off the bed. Next morning you could not even tell I had been burned and they didn't hurt.

Please let us know what happens!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 PM
joy

I always use any flavoured or plain yoghurt.... sweetened or non sweetened.... it works like a charm... if it is my fingers I stick them in straight away and they stay there for about 10 minutes or more... I burned underneath my arm from my wrist upwards, about a handspan size, it didn't even blister... DH said that I would have a nasty blister there but he was wrong... I swear by it, and just keep putting yoghurt on for that day.... doesn't matter how often...let us know how you got on please....
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Run under cold water, don't leave the ice pack on too long or will it will cause freezer burn, have an aloe vera plant handy and split a leaf and use the gel. Works wonders.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM

ALOE VERA it takes the burn out and its all natural I keep a plant in my kitchen it saved my face and arms from scarring after my antique oven blew me acrost the kitchen The ER doc said my DLH done the best thing sent me home with instructs to cont. applying AV and not use any OTCs and no prescripts ,it took longer for the eye brows& lashes to grow back then the burns to heal.Please remember to use a potholder