Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Grandmothers Flower garden help >

Grandmothers Flower garden help

Grandmothers Flower garden help

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM

I found this page which has lots of help for layouts and paths. I am doing the single ring layout and couldn't decide where to piece my "path". This was a big help.

Just scroll down and select the layout you are doing. If you are not sure what to do with your hexs this site will give you good ideas.

http://paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d30.html
Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks! I am working on my flowers, but wasn't sure how to do the path. They had great directions on that! I have a lot of my flowers completed...

I appreciate the link! The only thing I wish she had done was to give how many flowers make up other sizes (twin, king, etc). I am going to try to down size it to more of a twin.....I just want to have all my flowers done before putting them together so that I can place the colors -- I am doing a scrappy flower one and don't want two close to each other in a close color scheme!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Thanks for sharing... :-D
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM

I have about 20 of my grandmothers old aprons .I would love to make a grandmas flower garden for my sister and I out of them. How do you even start? and good tips?
Rae
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM

My best tip was the one I found on how to baste the hexagon on the paper. I will try to explain --- go from corner to corner and catch the fold....do not baste along the side, but rather let the thread sit on top (it kind of holds down the side fold).... You never baste through the paper, so in the end you don't have to remove the basting, because the paper should pull right out. I haven't pulled any of my papers though, because I want to keep the shapes until I can get them all sewn together.

I pin my paper to my fabric and then tuck the first side behind the pin to start.

One other tip someone else posted that is essential is to match your thread to your pieces....otherwise, it can be easy to see the stitches...

I printed out 1" hexagons free and cut them by hand....next time I would consider buying them....but I kind of like that part of the process.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
I have about 20 of my grandmothers old aprons .I would love to make a grandmas flower garden for my sister and I out of them. How do you even start? and good tips?
Rae
Read lots on this link.

http://paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d30.html
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

And here is a tutorial with pics on the way I was referencing above:

http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...r-piecing.html