Unusual Names

Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
Onalee! Isn't there a song out there with the name Onalee? Am I dreaming? Anyone know for sure. Love your name. Mine is Yolanda. I am 73 and my (Italy born) father named me after one of the King of Italy's (at the time) daughters. He had four. There is another Yolanda on the Board who was named after the 1930s 40s dancing star with a partner by the name of Yolanda and Valez.
Oh! By the way, when I was a very young child the Duncan Yo Yos came out and from then on my nickname was Yo Yo. Friends and loved ones still call me Yo. Any name said with love is okay!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 AM

my name is Joan i named my daughters Cynthia Darlene(she hates her name) and Marsha Lynne(everyone called her Mazola) she got alot of indian blood passed down to her--i guess!!!! my son is Thomas. Darlene named her son Cody and her daughter Cati.Thomas named his son Ty and his daughters Emily and Samantha. my mothers name was Velva Rada and my dads name was Sherman Dolphus.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 AM

I have her of Onalee on a Shania Twain video where she was purposed to right on the video, is that you?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
Onalee! Isn't there a song out there with the name Onalee? Am I dreaming? Anyone know for sure. Love your name. Mine is Yolanda. I am 73 and my (Italy born) father named me after one of the King of Italy's (at the time) daughters. He had four. There is another Yolanda on the Board who was named after the 1930s 40s dancing star with a partner by the name of Yolanda and Valez.
That's exactly what I was thinking! I thought of "Puff, the magic dragon, lived by the sea. And (something) in the autumn mist in a land called Onalee"?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 AM

My mother's name was Emeline Leola; her sister was Celeste Celestine.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
My legal name is Violet. Also have sister Vivian and brother Victor, we tell people that we are triplets who were born 4 and 10 years apart!!

One of my granddaughters is Faustina Rene. DD saw it in a book when she was expecting and fell in love with it.
My Grandmother was named Violet Velma....she didn't much like it ..she was born in 1911..
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 AM

Enjoyed reading all the unusual names. Mine is Lois - I'm 59 years old - and people still mistake the spelling as Louis! I still get lots of mail as "Mr.". I've given up trying to correct people.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 AM

I always thought my name was uncommon, but in recent years I think that is changing. My name is Kendra. I hated it growing up but I like it now! I think the worst experience was when I had a nametag on at work and someone came up to me and said "oh your parents must have wanted a boy!" I told them actually I am named after my dad, Kenneth.
My grandmother made me promise to never name my kids after her, unfortunately it was an easy promise to make! Her given name is Rita Alfreda.
Our family has a few names that are different depending on where you are from, Edna (2 of them), Vera, Glenda (no she is not a witch!) Helga, Mya, and Dessiree. If I think of anymore I will get back to you!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

My one grandmother was Letha. Other one was Myrtle.
Mom was Arlene
I'm Phyllis
You don't here any of those very often.

Although I knew 2 other Phyllis' when I was growing up - both older than me.
Then just a year ago met a 9 year old named Phyllis. She looked at me and said she didn't like her name because it was an 'Old person's name"! her mother scolded her for her comment. lol

I've never liked my name either, but could never figure out what to change it to.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM

26 years ago, i told my daughter to name her son Dakota Joe, she did and now there all lots of Dakota's out there.